[16] Hall of Life

Reader POV

"You're the one related to Noelle?"

"Wow, you're super cool!"

"Is that a magic trident?"

"Are you two really from the surface?"

The children of the seabed temple all crowded around me and Yuno, each poking us and hurling questions at us.

"Children!" A woman who looked like Kahono came towards us, holding a spear with a circle of magic gems on it. "Leave them alone. Shouldn't you be in lessons?"

The children quickly dispersed and the lady looked apologetically at us. "I'm sorry about that, they've never really seen anyone from the surface before. You are the first to come in a while aside from your cousin Noelle."

She took off her hat and gave us a flourish. "My name is Kanato, mother of Kaito and Kahono. You will meet the elders. They have much wisdom to teach you, especially you, young lady."

Yuno was about to follow me when Kanato put her weapon between us, giving him a stink eye. "Who is this? Gifso didn't mention a boy, especially one who doesn't have water magic."

"I am escorting her. I don't trust this place."

"Blunt like their father..." Kanato shook her head with amusement. "Forgive me. You remind me much of my late husband. He wouldn't leave my side for even a moment unless he absolutely had to."

"I don't care," Yuno said as he crossed his arms. "What's your deal-"

I kicked him hard. "I'm sorry at his lack of manners. I taught him better."

Kanato smiled faintly before turning serious. "It is our policy here in the temple that those with the bloodline of the Silva are treated like royalty-though I heard they are treated like that at the surface. Down here, we worship a deity." She opened doors that lead to a huge temple filled with water-shaped artifacts. "Her name being Amphitrite."

"Amphitrite, wife of the sea god." I bowed in respect and yanked at Yuno who finally did the same.

Yuno finally stood up. "Why don't you worship Poseidon? Most people do."

"Us? Worship that adulterous serpent??" A woman in the temple placed down what looked to be figs and shook her head. "No, we don't stand for disloyal men. It's against our policy."

"One we all love," Kanato nodded her approval. "Now, Cristina, where's Mother?"

"In the bathhouse." Cristina looked at Yuno with a glare. "Why is he here? I thought your children were only bringing the Silva girl."

"They were," Kanato shrugged. "But you know how men are. Once they lay eyes on someone, they don't want to be too far away. I don't mind it, I can tell he's powerful."

Cristina shook her head. "Wind magic will do no good here-"

"Foolish daughter. His wind magic is more than welcome," a very old woman said as she came out of a room with long wet hair. "Have a seat, young man. Dear lady, would you like to sit on our finest cushion?"

"I'm alright."

"My name is Poppina. You two may call me Poppy." She nodded to both of the women who closed the doors to the temple. "Have you two heard of the Sea Dragon?"

"Yes, Noelle and I can use sea dragon spells."

The woman nodded. "That's because you two are related to the sea dragon itself."

"Huh?"

Poppina formed water into a beautiful figure of a dragon. "Your family is actually descended from Amphitrite. She wedded Poseidon but was already powerful. She made a pact with the ancient Sea Dragon of the Deep. He granted her a magic power to merge with the sea itself in exchange for her life force. She used this power to stop another ancient evil called The Leviathan, but sacrificed herself to do so. She sealed it off centuries ago."