[36] The Wizard King

WARNING (cuz yall can't read lmao): Spells will be the same as Noelle's. They are the same bloodline AND have the same magic, with a variance of course. The pace will also be quick because I want to get to the good stuff, not the boring stuff. Don't like it? Don't comment, drop the book. Please don't ruin my day. I'm taking time out of my life to write this and I don't need some NPC commenting on the lack of 'originality'.

Yuno POV

I watched alongside my advisors as the final test was given to both Asta and Leopold, a sort of banquet. Since I was royalty and the king of a former enemy kingdom, I was present as part of the test. (y/n) and I did not talk much, but I could tell something was weighing on her mind. She would only stay near me for a small fraction of the time and answer my questions bluntly. My wife was wearing a mask as this was a masked ball and was dressed in her Golden Dawn uniform, a symbol that some of my advisors took as her being in rebellion against our marriage as she was not wearing her crown but I dismissed their ideas.

"Noelle Silva and Mimosa Vermillion are both royalty, but do you see them wearing crowns?" I argued to them to which they shook their heads. "Then don't judge her. May I remind you that she is your queen?"

"Your Highness, we did not mean to-"

"I think you should reconsider your position, councilman." I gave him a dirty look disguised by a polite smile. "May I remind you that not only is she your queen, but you served under the Dark Triad. You should be thanking her for convincing me to give you a second chance." 

Their faces fell and bowed their heads in defeat. "We apologize, Your Highness."

"It is not me who you should be apologizing." I chided. "You owe my wife an apology."

Leopold must've noticed what was happening and came over, frowning. "Do I have to dismiss them, Your Highness? This is a party, not a battleground."

"Or at least one of their sort. This is still a battleground, Leopold. Or at least for your title as the 29th Wizard King, lest you want to live your life as the man who gave up the title for a foolish affection."

Leopold could sense the meaning behind my words and stood up straighter. "If she leaves you for me, it is because I have always treated her right. I have been hurt in the past, and so has she. We have agreed to not harm each other, or at least intentionally. Unlike you, I love and cherish her. I don't hold things from the past that had nothing to do with her against her." He put a hand on my shoulder as he began to walk away. "Don't waste your chance to love her properly, Yuno. She wanted to be happy with you and you let the hatred consume you. She is constantly haunted by the fact you were under a spell and she didn't save you. Surely you understand? Anyway, I will offer her sanctuary if she chooses to leave your kingdom and give up her crown, something that she never asked for."

I was lost for words. I knew his words held the truth, but I just couldn't forgive her for everything, no matter how hard I tried. Every time I looked at her, I only saw a younger version of herself, especially everything Charlie had told me about her going behind my back and undermining my decisions. I could even see it myself. When I was still the captain of the Golden Dawn, she was always so headstrong and we would constantly clash, never really agreeing. I had already forgiven her for how she acted when I first arrived. I understood and acknowledged the fact she had no other choice, but I still didn't agree with her pushing me away so fast. 

I closed my eyes as I drowned out the voices of everyone at the party. (y/n) had done so much..and yet? She wasn't responsible for everything. Don't waste your chance to love her properly, Yuno. She wanted to be happy with you and you let the hatred consume you. Leopold's words kept echoing in my ear, an anthem coming into my heart to let the past go.