[24] Vice Captain

Reader POV

I couldn't believe that Yuno, his mother, and my father all decided before I had a say that I was to marry him.

"Obviously it would be within the next two years-"

"I don't care!" I shook my head. "I barely know you! I have a mission to do. Once that is done, I am going back to home."

"But your father said-"

"He can go fuck himself. I don't care if he wants the best for me, I don't want to be forced into a marriage." I looked at him with such scorn that he visibly shook.

He took a deep breath and gently placed his crown down on his desk, sighing. "You're so stubborn. (y/n), I have no choice in the matter. It is the custom spanning generations back for royalty to be in arranged marriages-"

"I don't care. My parents were in love, there wasn't any arranged marriages for my mother or Acier Silva."

"Let me finish. (y/n), I don't trust anyone else to rule beside me. If you won't marry me for love, then marry me because you acknowledge the truth in that you're special and you were always born to lead." Yuno sat down and looked up at me, his eyes showing the tiniest bits of eyebags, most likely covered up by makeup so no one would worry about the new king.

"What about Mimosa or anyone else? Surely they will also be valuable when it comes to ruling beside you?"

Yuno shook his head. "Only you."

"And I am assuming if I say no, Julius is going to be upset, as is the Spade Royal Council?" I rolled my eyes at the thought of a bunch of old hags and geezers telling him what to do with his love life. "Fine."

"Wait, what?" Yuno looked genuinely confused at my quick response.

I nodded but gave him a sharp glare that shut down the hope in his eyes. "This is strictly a political marriage. I will do my duties as a wife and give you an heir, but only one. After that, you and I will be just be married together on paper. I have no intentions of being your lover. I will raise our child, but I don't want anything to do with you outside of royal duties. Can you agree to that?"

"You're giving in so easily?"

"I don't want to, but I don't have a choice. I know Julius will give me crap and so will anyone else who finds out. Besides..." I looked down at the floor. "You're a mess, Yuno. I can tell you're trying to hold it together and present yourself as the perfect image of a warrior king. You're breaking slowly and despite me hating your guts, I don't like seeing you like this."

He smiled a bit and laughed nervously. "You see right through me already."

"Always have, peabrain." I looked back up at him. "But I did just accept a position as the vice captain of our squad. I will need to give them time, two years minimum, before I marry you."

Yuno seemed to agree, probably relieved I didn't put up too much of an issue on the subject of an arranged marriage. "Very well. In two years time, we will be married. I will announce-"

"Hold on," I stopped him. "I already have a massive legacy to uphold. Add in the "oh she's engaged to the Spade King" into the mix? I'd never be able to get things done. We can announce it in a year's time."

"But there will be rumors of us when we meet up?" Yuno looked confused. "Regardless, we will be the talk of the four kingdoms."

I thought about it for a minute and sighed when I realized he was right. "Alright. But seriously, give me some time to process this. Announce it at another time."

Wanting to drop the subject, Yuno agreed and looked outside where it was snowing gently. "We will be leaving for the mission within the week. I will brief you on everything tomorrow with your cousin. For now, please feel free to gather anything you might need from your home as you will be staying here for the time being. Your duties as vice captain will be still in effect."