[11: Almost]

Is anyone even reading this anymore?

Reader POV

The battle between the Spades, Clovers, and Atlanteans was to take place at sea. Leopold and (y/n) stood next to each other on the bridge of a ship, Maristella guiding it towards the surface.

"You are sure we will be able to breathe underwater?" Leopold asked with concern. "You do realize that if we drown, we can't win the war."

"We don't need to," I told him. "Because our ally in the Spade Kingdom is here."

Sure enough, Leopold could make out the form of Laurence Grinberryal in the darkness, fog surrounding the ship with Maristella's magic.

"You wanted to formally meet, but in secret..." Leopold finally understood. "So this is who has been giving us hints."

Laurence was hovering in the air until I formally invited him onto the ship. "Wow, this is pretty remote. I almost got lost in the fog."

"That is intentional," Maristella said with clear mistrust. "What news do you brint? Or was this a waste of time?"

Laurence's playful smile vanished instantly. "The military is backing me up. We no longer support our king. He has done acts of war. I would like to formally apologize for what he's done to the reefs and to you, (y/n)."

Maristella's blue eyes glimmered with anguish. "He killed our young Atlanteans. They were innocent of the sea, much less the world."

"Princess Maristella, I would like to offer a chance to make this right," Laurence said with a bit of fire. "The troops no longer support him. Our citizens right now are preparing to hand over their weapons and declare themselves against King Yuno. If I can count on your kingdoms to take him down in combat, we will do everything to restore your homes."

"You wish to be our ally and be a double agent," I finally realized. "This was never about being crowned king, you want what's right."

King Zale and I both looked at each other and nodded in agreement. "Help us take him down and we will help you dethrone him. Understand that it will be a trial to become king as you are of his direct bloodline and he has a son."

"I will renounce the throne on Caspian's behalf," I quickly said. "He doesn't want to be king, he only wants to be near his family right now. But if he changes his mind for any reason, he and Amore must be promised diplomatic immunity when they are older."

With the meeting ending moments later, Maristella pushed him to shore and looked at her brother. "Zale, what if he betrays us?"

He looked down at his sister and put a hand on her shoulder. "Then we'll tear him to shreds. But I do not believe he will betray us. He is worthy of being the next king of Spades, he has all the qualities Yuno lacks."

"He wasn't always like this," I said. "There was a time where I believed in him more than anything. He used to be someone like Laurence or even Asta. That part of him died long ago. He is blaming me for everything then playing the victim. The man I used to admire and love is long dead, has been dead for 13 years."

But that man was long gone.

Zale looked at me with compassion. "A part of you still loves him."

"I loved Yuno once, that is true," I confessed. "But after what I learned during a mission, my feelings have disappeared. People tell me it's miscommunication, but if that were the case? It still gives him no right to do what he did. To me, he's just a sperm donor who I happen to be lawfully wed to."

"If we see him in battle, you must not kill him!"

I looked at Leopold with the dirtiest look. "How could I not?"