Chapter 27

I locked everyone out of my apartment after my talk with Chris. I made sure to tape a note to the door telling everyone that if they tried to enter, they'd either be shot or coated in a lethal amount of wolfsbane. I heard the knocking, and the phone calls that I let go to my voicemail, and the texts that were still unread. I needed to get my head together now and have my feelings in check because the worst would undoubtedly happen if I didn't.

The click of a window to my left rings in my ear. I raise my pistol, making sure the click of the safety switch off is loud enough for anyone to hear. I knew who was climbing through my window, but I also wouldn't put it past Stiles to climb through it under Lydia's orders to find out if I was okay.

"Is shooting me really going to make you feel better?" I whip my head to look at the person.

"Peter." I sneer, burring my shock. I figured it was Derek, possibly Scott if he was crazy enough, but never Peter. "What are you doing here?"

"Checking the other entrances into this place since you've warned everyone off from the front door." His growl is weak, obviously not wanting to fight me right now. From my understanding, some of his wounds still haven't healed completely. "They're all waiting for you to open up and let them in. They heard you spoke with Chris."

"And you volunteered to climb through my window? I highly doubt that." I scoff, looking away from him. I keep my pistol pointed at him. I don't plan on shooting him, but I don't want him any closer.

"No, I was the least likely for you to shoot at the moment, or most depending on your mood. So I was more of a sacrifice if you must." He objects, carefully moving across the room to sit on the end of my bed with his back to me. I trailed him with my pistol the entire time he moved. "And, despite himself and any pride my nephew has, he was nearly begging me to help him. Derek's lucky that I owe the both of you an apology for our first interaction, or I would have told him no."

I scoff again, knowing Peter's words of apology were a load of shit. "Not accepted. I don't need one from you either." I train my eyes on the back of his head, debating on pulling the trigger and firing the wolfsbane bullet into his skull.

"Fantastic because I don't exactly wish to give you one. You did shoot me after all." I growl, tucking my finger against the trigger, ready to shoot him and finally put an end to him constantly annoying me. "Calm down, Fireheart."

I pull back at the nickname. "What?"

"You said I couldn't call you feisty, so I found something just as fitting." Peter shrugged, turning to look at me. "You don't like me, and you aren't exactly my favorite, but I have respect for you." He's full of surprises today, isn't he? "You care deeply about the people around you. My nephew is one of them, more so now since he told you his secret. You're a scared little girl, but you've learned from your fears and used them as courage. As much as it pains me to say, I would follow you onto a battlefield, even if it meant my life because I know you'd do everything you can to bring everyone home."

My heart pounded at Peter's words. "I don't plan on leading anyone into battle. Nor would I want people to follow me." I shake my head.

"Maybe not. But, for a human, you surely remind me of someone I used to know very well. I'm sure Derek sees it as well." Peter smiles, but it isn't his usual snarky, wicked smile. No, this one is different. I begin to ask him who he's talking about until he continues talking. "I wanted to tell you personally that I don't know what happened to your family. Chris asked me when we first met, and I told him no. But something about it made me start thinking, I don't know who it was, but I know it wasn't my family. But I remember Talia –my older sister and Derek's mother– attending many meetings with other Alphas about rouge werewolves running around killing humans on the nights of full moons. From what memory I have of it, they had no Alpha that was leading them, not that was seen. I know that your family was the last attack before the werewolves seemed to vanish into thin air. Talia and the other Alphas could never find more information or discover where they went. It will be best to take this to Derek and Scott; they know a wolf who might be able to tell you more."

I was shocked that Peter had dug deep enough in himself to give me just a bit more to go on than he did. It was more information than I've ever had. "Thank you, Peter," I whisper, finally lowering my pistol. I don't trust him, but he helped me in the slightest way, so I'll stop threatening to kill him for now.

"I'll let you know if I ever think of anything else. If you get more information, bring it to me, it could jog my memory." He's quick to shrug.

"Right." I nod. "You can tell the other's that I'm okay. The door was never booby-trapped, but at least it worked to keep them away. Can you ask them to give me until tomorrow to be alone?"

"Of course. I don't know how they'll take that, let alone Derek, but I'll keep the door 'booby-trapped' until the morning for you." Peter smirks and winks at me as he climbs back through the window.