Chapter 13

I sat in the room that was to be my bedroom, my kind size mattress is sitting in the hall waiting for me to figure out how exactly the bedframe goes together. I've got it almost there, I'm just having trouble holding the footboard up when trying to put on the side railing so it's all one piece. "You look like you could use a hand," Derek chuckled from the doorway of the bedroom. I looked at him through my long hair that was hanging everywhere, I sighed giving a nod.

"Can you just hold this? I can't hold them both and get it latched into place with the headboard without looking at it." Derek only laughed before taking the side railing from my hand and locking it into both the footboard and the beadboard before locking the second side rail in as well.

"Let's get that mattress," He quickly walked into the hallway and began to slide the mattress into the room, picking it up with ease he slid it onto the bed frame and grinned to himself.

"It must be nice to have superstrength." I huffed pushing my hair from my face, I turned to grab the new light gray bedsheets from the bedside table that Chris had built probably a good two hours ago.

"It is," Derek answers smugly. I rolled my eyes throwing the sheet across the bed before moving around it and Derek to make sure that it was on properly. I continued making the bed unfolding the comforter that Lydia got me, it's a darker gray than the sheets and it has a white owl, some trees, and a cloudy moon printed onto it. Lydia said that the second I laid eyes on it she knew that I loved it.

I fluffed the pillows resting them at the head of the bed before laying a small quilt at the foot of the bed with a smile. "Looks like you're all set," Derek said from next to me. I nearly jumped forgetting that he was there.

"Oh, yeah. Thank you again, it means a lot to me that you offered this place to me." I smiled at Derek resting my hand on his bicep.

"It's not a big deal." There was that normal grumpy Derek that everyone talks about, I was getting almost used to the slightly cheerful and flirty Derek. I moved my hand away from his arms turning to the large glass windows on the wall that my bed was against. It was well past midnight and I hope that everyone has gone home by now, they've done enough for me today, I'm honestly shocked that they did this much.

"Look, I don't know if being a part of the pack is in your plans, or even if Beacon Hills is; but I think it'd be a good thing if you stayed around." I slowly turned to Derek confused as he continued talking. "Beacon Hills isn't most people's forever, but if someone else hasn't already told you this, but, you belong here." The caring Derek was back and I didn't know how to feel about it.

"I don't know what my plan is Derek. I like Beacon Hills, but I'm still scared." I told him looking back to the partly cloudy night sky. It was almost the full moon.

"Scared of what?" The tone of his voice, held weakness in it like he understood what I was trying to tell him.

"I'm scared of staying in one place for too long. I'm scared of caring for someone again and then losing them. I wasn't worried about that with the Argents because I wasn't close to any of them, I was told to not worry about anyone. I'm scared of losing everything I love again. I don't want to be hurt like that again." My voice felt like it was breaking as the words left my mouth at a whisper.

I felt Derek's large hand rest on my arm before his strong arm went around me and pulled me into a hug. I was so shocked at the gesture that I gasped. "I won't let anyone hurt you. I'll make sure that nothing like that ever happens again. I promise." I felt Derek's protective words burn in my chest.

Letting out a silent sob, I wrapped my arms around Derek shoving my head into the crook of his neck. I was shocked at how safe I felt in his arms, it was warm and it feels like nothing would ever happen if Derek was there. I can only pray that what I was feeling was true.