Chapter 11

I nearly clung to Derek's side when the trio pulled me into Derek's loft for the pack meeting. Walking into the loft all heads turned and everyone's eyes were on us within seconds. I tried my best to hide behind Derek who only rolled his eyes and walked away from me into a different part of the loft. So much for that plan. I looked to Stiles with pleading eyes, who only smiled and took a seat on the couch next to a very pretty redhead. Scott grabbed my hands giving me a smile before pulling me over in front of everyone.

"Everyone, I want you to meet Danielle Remmington." He said almost proudly. Was that how he was going to try and hide the lie we're telling them.

"She's Chris' niece?" A boy with a square jaw and an angry look on his face asked.

"Yes Liam, she is. Dani was from Chris' wife's side of the family." Scott held back a growl with his response. This must be the Beta that Stiles was telling me about, the IED.

"Does she know?" A good looking boy with a wicked smirked asked.

"My family was killed by werewolves when I was young. I went to live with the Argents when about a year later." I answered for myself stepping in front of Scott.

"So she can kill us. Fantastic." A girl with dark brown hair growled.

"She can indeed. After all, she did fight me off." My attention snapped to the spiral staircase where Peter sat watching out interaction. I guess we forgot about Peter, he messes with the whole lying plan.

"You're lucky you still have your life, scum," I growled feeling like there should be venom dripping from my teeth. "Next time it won't be your foot, it'll be your head."

"Fiesty, I still like her." Peter laughed. I swore I heard a growl come from the kitchen after Peter's remark.

"Don't listen to Peter, he's gross. I'm Lydia Martin, it's nice to meet you." The redhead said holding her freshly manicured hand out to me.

I took her hand lightly shaking it. "Dani. You're the Banshi, correct?"

"That'd be me. My bark is far worse than my bite, but you don't have to worry about me." Lydia smiled at me. Stiles told me that Allison was Lydia's best friend, so I was going to be careful around her. "Allison never mentioned you, were you two close?"

There was one question that I was hoping to avoid tonight and Lydia had to be the one to ask it. "Uh, no actually we'd never met. I've only ever been told about her and shown pictures. We were meant to meet before my family died, but after that, I bounced around foster care for a year. The Argents took me in as a favor for Allison's mom. She wasn't close to her family, but she didn't want me out of sight in a sense." I explained coming up with most of it on the fly. I had been thinking of lies to tell them the whole way here. Hopefully, no one caught my heart rate increase, though Scott says it always does when I talk about my family.

"I think you and Alli would have been really close given the chance. She did say they moved around a lot, so it was just bad luck the two of you didn't meet." Lydia said pulling me into a hug. "I hope we can be friends." It was only a whisper but I caught what she said.

"I would love to be friends Lydia," I whispered back. I felt her hold me tighter for another second before letting go.

"Okay, so over there is Liam and Theo, they're pretty annoying but they can be really sweet when they want to be. That's Malia, she's a were-coyote her bite and bark are about the same, but she's harmless if she likes you." Lydia told me pointing at who was who. "We're missing a couple of people, but you'll meet them another time."

"Why do I get the feeling that no one wants me here?" I whispered to Lydia.

"Don't worry, we're all a little cautious around newcomers. They'll get used to you." She whispered back. She pulled me over to the couch that Stiles was still sitting on and grinned widely at me. "Tell me about yourself."

"What do you want to know?" I asked looking to Stiles for help. He told me that Lydia was going to want to be my friend almost instantly, she could read a person faster than anyone else. Lydia was always the person who people went to when it came to new people.

"Everything, duh." She laughed.

"Well, back home I have a best friend, her name is Amber. She doesn't know anything about my past, or about the supernatural. She's the sister I always wanted, I only had a couple of older brothers before the attack." I paused for a minute thinking that I was maybe going too into detail, I haven't even told the guys any details about my family.

"I'm an only child, I always wanted siblings." Lydia sighed looking away from me for a minute. "Allison was the sister I always wanted. She was always there for me." Lydia looked happy talking about Allison, you could tell she was still hurting from losing her best friend but was slowly getting over it.

I smiled pulling Lydia into a hug. "I don't want to replace Allison, but I'll be there Lydia," I whispered to her. I heard a very quiet thank you come from her.

"Why don't we all watch a movie?" Stiles announced gaining everyone's attention.

Soon they began to argue about what movie to watch. I smiled watching them bicker before leaving them to find the kitchen, I was hoping for a glass of water. I walked the direction that I saw Derek go when we first got here, hoping that was where the kitchen was. My suspicions were right when I found both Derek and the kitchen.

"You seem to be fitting in well." He said not looking up from the book he was reading.

"I don't think so. Lydia seems very friendly, which is nice." I replied leaning against the counter across from him. "I didn't know you liked to read."

"Oh, yeah. It's calming, one of the only things that can keep me from going crazy with this pack of teenagers." Derek shrugged placing the book down on the counter next to him. "Do you read much? I know you were reading that Galic book earlier."

"Oh yeah, like you said it's calming. I love being taken to new places when I read. Gerard taught me different languages, so I like reading books from other countries. Their stories are just so different sometimes." I smiled running my finger along the grains of the wooden countertop.

"My mother wanted us to learn different languages, but I couldn't do it. I know enough to get me by." Derek chuckled.

We stood there for a moment enjoying each other's presence before Derek spoke once again. "I know this is maybe a little weird, but I know you don't exactly like taking up Scotts' room at Chris's place. I well, I own this building and the floor below this one is empty, so I figured that maybe you'd like to rent it." I was shocked at Derek's offer.

"Why? I mean, I would love you because you're right, I can't stand feeling like I'm intruding in Chris's house, I feel like I've taken over Scott's room. I love it there, but I never planned on staying there as long as I have." I said still shocked.

"That's why I thought you might like to stay here. Well not here, here, but on the next floor down." Derek sounded very nervous.

"What about Peter?" I asked. I hardly wanted that scum around me, let alone live in the same building as him.

"You don't have to worry about him. He lives in a penthouse across town. Peter's only ever here when he want something or for a pack meeting, which that isn't often. I'll take him out personally if he tries bugging you." Derek replied sounding very protective. Derek was pissed at Peter after what happened at Chris's, but I get the feeling that there's another reason he sounds so protective.

"Okay, I don't see why not. I'll feel better being out of Chris's hair and maybe I can get to know the rest of the pack better this way. And if you're going to be handling Peter, I won't have to get blood all over the place." I laughed. Derek chuckled at my comment.

"I'll get the keys for you, I can help you move tomorrow if you'd like. The mechanic shop is pretty empty, so I've got some free time." Derek offered.

"Okay, I can see if Lydia wants to go furniture shopping with me tomorrow and then let you know." I beamed at Derek. Well, that's one thing off of my list.