Chapter 31

I curl into a ball in bed when Derek brings us back to the loft. I was numb when he walked us inside and didn't care to count floors when in the elevator. All I know is that I followed the smell of my mate and curled into the place that smelt like him the most.

Strange, I followed a smell so faint that a person wouldn't smell it without being directly next to Derek, but I could smell him everywhere. My best guess why this phenomenon is happening is, being his mate and the full moon being close. Argents taught me when a werewolf is mated to a human; the human can develop the wolf's abilities around the moon. They only last a few days before and after the moon.

I don't know much more than that.

Hell, I don't know anything at this point. My whole life has turned upside down and backward once again. I have no idea who I am. Who my family was.

"Dani, you need to eat something." Derek sighs, taking a seat on the bed next to me.

I've been curled up in his bed for almost a day. Refusing to move further than rolling over, my stomach lurched at the thought of eating, and my head pounds when I tried and think about anything. I know it's worrying Derek; I can feel it radiating from him.

When he isn't holding me or making me function like a normal human being, Derek's been trying to keep everyone updated on how I'm doing. He's also been hounding Stiles to see if our resident FBI agent has had any luck getting into the files.

Ω∆Ω

"What are we going to do?" I asked, looking at the blacked-out files on Stiles' computer screen. The only information you could see in the files was the date the attacks happened, the location, and a photo of each surviving child.

"I will have to reach out to my boss and see what I have to do to get these files opened. My current clearance won't get us anywhere, and if I asked the team to try, we'd be in a boatload of trouble." Stiles sighs, typing away at his computer.

"Can't you say that I want into the file? It's my life."

"That's not how it works." Chris sighs. "You were in witness protection for most likely something that someone in your family did. Apparently, since that member of your family is dead, the government wasn't worried about you going into the foster system."

"Unless Gerard had something to do with it. He has his foot in so many doors; it's possible."

"Son of a–" Stiles growls from next to me. I turned my attention back to him, and a flashing red warning symbol was now on his screen.

"Why's it doing that?" Derek pressed.

"They just completely locked me out. Flagged me from everything because of those files." Stiles shoves his phone against his ear, nearly yelling in frustration and throwing his phone across the room. "I can't even make a fucking phone call."

"What did my family get themselves into? What did any of these families get into?" I look at the files spread across the table.

"I'm about to find out." Stiles stood and marched to the door. "I'll let you guys know when I've found something. Until then, keep your heads down. Nothing says the assholes I woke for won't come poking their noses around town to find out why I was looking at these files."

I don't think anyone's seen Stiles this angry before. We're all staring at the place he'd been standing in shock when the door slams behind him. This rabbit hole keeps getting deeper and deeper.

Ω∆Ω

"Have you heard from Stiles?" I murmur.

Derek sighs, shaking his head. "No one's heard from him in hours. Chris said we need to keep all phone chatter down to emergencies. He said when he and Scott were talking earlier, he could hear another line open."

"This is becoming much more than I ever wanted it to." I close my eyes and bury my head in a pillow. "I never wanted anyone else to get hurt by this."

"No one's hurt. Stiles is fine, and they're just questioning him and keeping an eye on anyone he's close to." Derek runs his fingers through my hair, pushing it from my face. "We're going to get to the bottom of this. Stiles will do whatever he has to to get that information."

"No one is physically hurt, but it's digging into their lives."

"Do you really think we care? This isn't the worst thing that's happened to us, Dani," Derek wants to continue when his phone rings. "Stiles."

I sit up at the mention of our friend. "Don't let it ring! Answer it!" I tap the screen and force the phone to Derek's ear, leaning close enough to listen. I knew that if it was put on speaker and the FBI were listening, they could cut the connection before we learned anything.

"Stiles."

"Derek."

"How are you?"

Could these two be trying to be any less obvious about this whole thing?

"I'm sending you an address and time. You and Dani, no one else."

"Stiles, what's this about?"

"I'll be there. Just show up. It's big, Derek." The line went dead.