Chapter 20

I'm sure that I broke every law that there is to get to Deaton's clinic. I also know that because there was a sheriff cruiser behind me halfway to the clinic. "Miss, do you know how fast–"

"Not right now, dad!" Stiles shouted as we raced into the clinic.

"Deaton! We have it!" I came to a stop outside of the trapped off area, fear overtook my body, and I fell to my knees.

"It's okay, Derek's still okay. We've just closed the area off to keep everyone safe; put the wolfsbane in the box, and I'll get it in a moment. I need one of you to change and join me. I sent Scott home, I didn't want him getting sick as well, but I'll need help. There are scrubs in the bathroom." Deaton said from behind the trap; I could see his figure moving around a table.

"Okay, what is going on?" Mr. Stilinski asked.

"Let's talk outside," Stiles pulled his dad from the clinic, leaving the bag of wolfsbane.

"Okay," I whispered to myself. "Okay, give me a minute, and I'll be there to help Deaton." I placed the wolfsbane in the box and slowly walked to the bathroom to change. It felt as if it took me an eternity to put on the clean scrubs and join Deaton in the clinic's tarped off area. I bit my lip, seeing Deaton breaking apart the wolfsbane and crushing it with a mortar and pestle.

"What," I paused, glancing at Derek briefly. His skin was almost gray, I couldn't see his face, but I'm sure it wasn't as handsome as usual. "What do you want me to help with?"

"Once I finish mixing this," Deaton sifted the crushed wolfsbane into a bowl, "we have to cover his body with this, and then force him to eat what's left."

"Do I want to know how you're going to force that down his throat?" I sigh, watching Deaton check the mixture before grabbing two brushes. He handed me one and began to cover Derek's body with the substance.

"Probably not, but you'll have to try your best to keep him calm while I do." Deaton weakly smiled. I nodded and started brushing Derek's body.

Sadly this wasn't the time for me to be taking in his features, but it was hard not to. I felt like I was tracing every muscle of his body. It felt like I was an artist painting a nude model. Was this under different circumstances, this would probably be a very intimate moment.

"Okay, he's still asleep for the moment, but once I start feeding this to him, you're going to have to keep him calm," Deaton said, grabbing a large tube. I gulped glancing at Derek; it was going to take a lot to keep him calm. Let alone hold him down if I have too.

"Okay, go ahead," I whispered. Deaton put the tube down Derek's throat, and I started my part.

"Derek, I want you to listen to me," I paused, seeing if his facial expression changed at all, Deaton began putting the mixture in the tube. "Do you remember when you offered me the loft? I was so scared. I didn't want to get hurt. I've grown so used to the people in my life hurting me one way or another. What you told me the day I moved in was that I belonged in Beacon Hills; that took so much of that fear away. Then you started to open up to me, showing me the softer side of Derek Hale that no one ever talks about," Derek started to gag and fought against Deaton. I pressed my hands down on Derek's shoulders and continued talking to him.

"Then you promised to protect me; you said that you wouldn't let anyone hurt me. Well, Derek, I'm scared of you hurting me. I've heard the stories, but the way you act around me, the things you do and say, make me feel like none of that would ever matter. So I hope that you can show me I have nothing to be scared of, Derek. Because honestly, I'd be scared my whole life if I didn't have you in it." Deaton had finished, and Derek seemed to be calm.

"Now, we wait." Deaton sighed, resting against a counter. "You did a good job giving him something to focus on. I'm sure when he wakes up, you're all he's going to be concerned with."

"Maybe," I sighed. I could only hope that Derek would remember what I told him. But it might be better if he didn't. The fear of getting hurt was still intense, and I couldn't bear the thought of losing anyone else.