Chapter 22

I couldn't shake what Derek said out of my head. Yes, I dreamed of being with a man like him, but the thought of it scared me. We flirt, he offered me a space in his building, he nearly died in my arms. But I never honestly expected anything to come of it. Coming to Beacon Hills, I wanted answers. Had I never run into Derek the way I did, I might have killed him. However, that might be the scared little girl that still lives in the back of my mind.

I sigh spooning pasta into bowls and making sure everything was off before resting the food on a tray to carry it up to Derek. He greeted me with a smile and placed his book on the bedside table. "Is there something bothering you?" Derek asked, taking the bowl from my hands.

I took a seat next to him and shook my head, "No, nothing that I can control." I stuffed a fork full of pasta into my mouth.

"You're worried about Chris and Peter," Derek stated.

"No," I held up my finger and shook it. "I wouldn't be caught dead worrying about Peter, and it's not that I'm worried; it's that I wanted to be there so bad finding out who these bastards are that did this to you." I hadn't realized that I finished my dinner in that short time until my fork clinked against the bottom of the empty bowl. I eat when I'm frustrated.

"Chris can take care of himself; Peter is just there in case of an emergency," Derek commented, taking my bowl from my hands and setting it with his on the tray on the floor. "I know how you feel, but who else was going to make me dinner every night if you went with them?" He joked, grabbing my hand.

"I think Stiles could have taken care of you pretty well," I rolled my eyes, "I just don't want the wrong people to find out what happened."

"I won't let Gerard anywhere near you again; you know that, right?" Derek tightened his grip on my hand. It was amazing how much he cared about me. I always knew that if something happened, Gerard or any of the Argents wouldn't come to my rescue; I was on my own.

I only smiled at Derek before diverting my attention to another part of the room. "You wanted to take a bath, right? I'll go start that." I pulled my hand from his and bee-lined for the bathroom, gently pushing the door closed behind me. I turned on the water before turning to the counter, leaning against it. I took a deep breath looking into the mirror.

The fear of having feelings for Derek was apparent, and the fear of losing him or anyone else I've grown close to in Beacon Hills was becoming overwhelming. "Dani?" Derek's voice came from the door.

"What are you doing out of bed?" I turned to him.

"Why are you crying?" I froze; I hadn't realized that I began to cry. "Dani, please talk to me." Derek pulled me into his arms.

"I'm okay, Derek, I swear." I choked out.

"I don't have to be a werewolf to know that you're lying." Derek hummed, leaning against the counter.

"You should be in bed. You can't stand for very long, Derek." I warned him, trying to change the subject.

"I'm stronger than you think. Now tell me what's wrong." Derek pulled my head to look at him before pushing his forehead against mine.

"It's stupid," I sighed, trying to turn away.

"Nothing that has to do with you is stupid, Dani," Derek breathed out, holding my head in place by the back of my neck. His touch was so gentle, so warm.

"I'm scared like always," I looked down, closing my eyes.

"What are you scared of? I'm right here," Derek whispered. The feeling of his breath against my skin sent shivers down my spine.

"That, I'm scared of you not being there. I'm scared of you being there. I'm so scared of losing you, and I don't know why." My words were shaky, scared of the reply that I might receive.

Derek's hand on my hip moved up to my face whipping away the new tears that tried to stain my cheeks. "I know that it's scary losing the people you care about. Loss is something natural in life. But until it happens, you shouldn't be scared of you. You should think about the now and be happy with all of the people around you." Derek pressed a kiss to my cheek. "I don't plan on going anywhere any time soon. So enjoy the moments we have."

"Derek, I–" I wasn't able to finish when Derek's lips pressed against my own, and I became lost to the world.