Chapter 21

"Are you sure about this?" I asked Chris, watching him pack his SUV.

"Positive," Chris said with a curt nod. He paused, checking a bag that he had yet to load. "The best way to find out what's going on is for me to go to the source."

"I agree with you, Chris, but are you sure Peter is going to be enough backup?" I sigh, letting Peter's name come out like venom. I still cannot stand the man; he is the only person here I've genuinely wanted to kill in my time in Beacon Hills.

"Yes, Dani, I'm sure. Peter and I have worked together in situations like this before. He's only ever gotten us almost killed once unless I'm counting Mexico, then it's twice." Chris chuckled, resting a hand on my shoulder as he turned to me. "You need to stay here and take care of Derek. You're also the only one I trust to keep me informed about what's going on. Scott and Stiles are usually really flaky about it."

"Of course," I rolled my eyes. "Just promise to keep me updated too. The second you find out who hired these guys, I want to know."

"Don't worry; I'll be sure to get a few hits in for you. Who knows, I might have to hit Peter a few times." Chris smirked.

"I heard that," Peter growled from the front of the SUV.

"I meant for you too," Chris laughed. "Now, you should go and take over taking care of Derek from Lydia, knowing Derek even in a state like he's in, he's still damn near ready to rip out of poor girls throat."

"She does talk a lot," I weakly smiled. Chris was in the SUV with Peter, ready to leave, and I was still kind of upset that I wasn't going with him. "Wait! What happened in Mexico?!"

"Story for another time, kiddo! I promise to tell you when we get back!" Chris yelled as he pulled out of the driveway with a laugh.

I rolled my eyes and gave myself a quick nod before climbing into my truck and heading to the loft. Derek's been on complete bed rest since he woke up. He's only allowed out of bed to use the bathroom. I pull into my parking spot, seeing Lydia's car gone, I tilted my head confused. Indeed Derek could manage to stay in bed without being supervised for a while, but I wouldn't leave him completely alone.

I quickly dialed Lydia's number and pressed the phone to my ear, and I entered the elevator and pressed the button for Derek's loft. Lydia's phone rang and then went to voice mail. I tried Stiles to see if she was with him, but I didn't through to him either. I was about to call Scott when the elevator stopped. My mind went to Derek, and I pulled the iron door open as quickly as possible and ran to Derek's room.

I slid to a stop seeing Derek leaning against a couple of pillows in his bed with a book in hand. "You look like you've been running from wolves." Derek smiled, closing the book and resting it in his lap. I glanced at the cover, seeing that it was the book that I had been reading myself while Derek napped.

"I think I've been running with them lately, not running from them," I smirked, taking a seat next to his feet. "I see you found my book."

"Who knew that people had an extraordinary view on werewolves," Derek chuckled. "Why call it Shiver? I haven't pieced that together yet. It's good, though." He ran his thumb over the blue leaves that were printed on the cover.

"I'll let you ponder that. Where's out resident banshee? Shouldn't you be resting?" I asked, taking the book from his hands and setting it on the dresser.

"I told Lydia that she could leave. I was fine; she got me this book from the living room and made sure that I had water and snacks if I needed them. Just because I'm a little shaky doesn't mean I can't rest in my bed without someone looking after me." Derek teased.

"It would have been nice to know that she left. What if something happened? I have seen you close to death enough times that will last me a lifetime." I retorted.

"Well, I'm just fine. Nother happened. Please, calm down, Dani," Derek smiled, grabbing my hand. I smiled at how warm his touch made me feel. "I was thinking; it's about time for me to have a nice warm bath." Derek's smile quickly turned to a devilish smirk.

Kicking the thoughts in my head to the curb, I smiled at him, "I can run you a bath after dinner; how does that sound?" I sweetly asked.

"Perfect." Derek grinned. He gave a light squeeze to my hand and pulled me closer to him, "You could join me if you'd like." He whispered in my ear. I bit my lip feeling my face grow warm.