Chapter 7

"So what the hell was all of that about?" I asked Chris sitting in the passenger seat of his car. He was driving us back to the house, I felt like a teenager who just got in trouble with their parents.

"That was about seeing if you were telling the truth or not," Chris replied. "I know you were trained to control your heartbeat, so I wanted to test you. I also wanted to see how skilled you were."

"I had a feeling. Gaining trust in a pack like this wasn't going to be easy and I knew that. I also didn't think I was going to get chased by a couple of werewolves in my first few hours here. I guess Welcome to Beacon Hills to me." I looked out the window with a sigh.

"It was also Scott's way of seeing if you were ready to meet the pack or not. He's not normally this wary of someone, but I think the last name has something to do with it." Chris pulled the car into the driveway, a small silver car sat there. It wasn't there when I first arrived.

"Why would he want me to meet the pack?" I asked following Chris into the house.

"You must be Danielle, it's so nice to meet you. I'm Melissa, Scott's mom. It's so nice to have you." A woman pulled me into her arms as I walked into the house. I was a little shocked at first, but her arms were comforting at the time.

"It's nice to meet you too. Sorry about intruding on your house like this, it was all a last-minute thing." I smiled at her. I could see a lot of her in Scott's face when I pictured him in my head. He also seemed to have gotten his kind-hearted nature from her.

"It's perfectly fine. We don't get many visitors that aren't from the pack or some supernatural creature trying to kill us anymore, so it's nice." She smiled.

"I can relate to that." I chuckled.

"Dani, why don't we finish our conversation in my office?" Chris asked turning to a small room.

"I'm headed back to the hospital, let's talk more another time." Melissa smiled before she ran out of the house.

"I wouldn't say that you're wanted in the pack, it's more of, Scott knows you're meant to be in it. Everyone in the pack is there for a reason, they've all had their bad days, but Scott has never turned his back on one of them." Chris sat in a brown leather office chair looking at a picture on his desk.

Chris continued looking at me once again. "You came here for a reason, you want answers to the lies that the only people you've been able to trust for most of your life have been telling you. You want to belong somewhere that feels like home." He crossed his arms on the desk in front of him. "You'll know that you belong here, it might take some time and I mean a lot of time. But someone will stand out and make you really feel that way. You won't be alone in this, you might feel like it at first, but you won't be for long."

"Well, I sure got one hell of a welcome." I rolled my eyes. "I never said anything about wanting to be in Scott's pack. I wanted answers to the lies that I've been told. I wanted to know if you knew the answer to who killed my family. I want to believe that Gerard is lying to me once again because if he isn't I'm sorry, but I will kill the person who killed them." I turned away from Chris looking at the wall of books.

"I can look into it. I don't have an answer for you right now." Chris sighed. "Who did Gerard tell you killed your family?"

"The Hales." I looked at Chris out of the corner of my eye and watched him go pale as a ghost.

"You want to kill Derek if his family is responsible for killing yours?" Chris questioned.

"Only if they killed my family. I know revenge isn't always a good thing, and Derek probably knows how I feel about this. But I've gone my whole life knowing what killed them, but never who. Someone needs to pay for what they did." I know my voice sounded wicked, but I didn't care.

"I took the Argent name, not only because they saved me, but because they were going to help me find who took my family from me. It means nothing more to me than that. I want justice for those who can't take for themselves. I want to know that all of my nightmares will one day go away because I got justice for my family." I heard my voice crack knowing that I was crying.

"And you can get justice for them. Your nightmares will go away, but not by killing Derek or whoever took your family from you. I'll help you find out what happened, I promise you that." Chris pulled me into his arms for the second time today and I sobbed into his chest. I didn't want anything more than to know who took my family from me. But I could feel that I needed much more than that.