Chapter 4

I slowly got out of Derek's car and walked to the front door of the house Derek said Chris was in. I was worried that he was lying to me, but I feel like Derek would know, it sounds like they are friends. I wipe my hands along my jeans before I slowly knock on the door.

"I got it!" A voice rang from the other side. I ran a hand through my hand as the door opened.

On the other side of the door stood a boy who was easily my age, maybe a year older. He was very handsome, but he had a look to him that told me exactly who he was. "Um, hi. How can I help you?" He asked.

"Hi, I'm looking for Chris Argent." I smiled.

"Hey, Chris, there's a girl here looking for you." The boy shouted over his shoulder. Footsteps came down the hallway and the man who I figured to be Chris Argent stood in front of me. The pictures that Gerard showed me were much younger, but he still looked the same, just a little gray.

"I've got this Scott," Chris smiled to the boy. God, why does my gut feeling have to be right? "How can I help you?" He asked.

"This is going to sound crazy, but well, you're an Argent and pretty much used to that, but, well," I sighed thinking of how stupid I sound right now. "My name is Danielle Argent, I was adopted by your family when I was 9 after my family was attacked by, um, cougars." I put quotation marks around the word cougars.

"They raised me to do what the family does, but in the last couple of years, I've felt like everything is completely wrong and just wicked. I need your help, I have so many questions that I know no one else will answer, you're the only one who I could think to turn too." I felt like crying. I was pouring my heart out to a man that I have never met until now for his help because the rest of the people who I've thought of like family for the last ten years are all crazy.

"Why don't you come in and we'll have a talk. You're safe here. How did you get here exactly?" Chris asked resting hand on my shoulder.

"Well, I met one of your friends," I said pointing at Derek who was leaning against his car. I gave a small gave which he returned with a smile.

"Well, I can't wait to hear this story. Derek, would you like to join us?" Chris waved to his friend.

"I'm actually going to go and get her truck and take it to the shop. I'll stop by and let you know the prognosis after." Derek walked my bags up the steps and set them at my feet. "You don't pack light do you?"

"Ha, yeah not really." I scratched at the back of my neck. "Thank you again, for saving my ass back there. I owe you one." I smiled.

"You'll owe me a couple after I fix your truck." Derek chuckled jogging back to his car. "I took your keys by the way!" He said before driving off.

"Fix my truck?" I was more than confused at this point.

"Derek works at the Mechanic Shop in town, he owns if actually. He'll take care of everything." Chris laughed picking up my bags and walking into the house.

"Scott, can you take these to the spare room, please? Danielle is going to be staying with us for a little while." Scott ran over, taking the bags from Chris and giving me a smile.

"Careful with that one!" I exclaimed watching Scott almost drop my backpack. They shared a confused look. "My computer and a few other things are in it. Sorry, I didn't mean to shout." I looked down at my feet.

"It's okay. Let's sit and have a chat." Chris walked me into the living room and sat me on the sofa. "You can tell me everything, without leaving anything out. No one is going to hurt you, or judge you."

"You might say otherwise after you hear everything." I sighed. Scott was now in the living room with us sitting across from me.

"Don't worry, I won't call your lies." Scott chuckled.

"Scott," Chris warned.

"What, she has to know. Her bag has wolfsbane in it. I could smell it. Nothing very strong." Scott scuffed.

"It's a safety thing thank you very much. Not everyone is the special all-mighty True Alpha." I rolled my eyes.

"I don't blame you, but no one is going to hurt you. We protect this town." Scott sighed.

"I know. I'm sorry." I weakly smiled at him. Scott returned my smiled with his own.

"Let's start from the beginning," Chris said resting a hand on my shoulder.

"Well, when I was eight, my family and I were camping, one night a pack of werewolves came into our camp and killed everyone but me, no one knows how I still alive. With everything I know now, I should be dead, I was only hiding in a tent, it's not like they couldn't have killed me too if they wanted.

"I bounced around in foster care for a year before Gerard found me. Slowly I was taught about what took my family from me, then he showed me how to take my revenge. I did what he asked waiting for the day that he would finally help me take revenge on the wolves that took my family, It's been ten years and that hasn't happened. Though, I've been realizing that everything that Gerard says and does, isn't what it's cracked up to be.

"I need answers to questions that I know if I asked around the main family, they wouldn't be answered. I came here, not for what Gerard thinks I'm here for, but to break away from him and to actually know what's right from wrong. I still want to know what happened to my family, but at this point, I'm sure Gerard took care of it years ago. I need your help, Chris, even yours Scott, I feel like a scared little eight-year-old who keep wondering if what took her family is going to come back for her or not." I don't know when I began crying, but there were two pairs of arms around me trying to calm me down.

"It's going to be okay. Gerard can't get to you here, we won't let that happen." Chris whispered into my hair, holding me tightly. I soon felt calm, when I looked down at the arms around my waist that were holding my hands, I saw black veins.

"Scott, thank you, but you don't have to do that." I weakly smiled at him. I knew about that werewolves healing powers, how they could take away the pain and even calm a person's emotions.

"Sorry, sometimes I don't even realize I'm doing it. Kind of habit. I work at the vet in town, whenever something is in pain, it's just instinct." Scott smiled.

"Danielle, if you don't mind me asking, what does Gerard think you're here to do?" Chris asked.

I sighed looking down at my hands. "He thinks I came here to kill Scott's pack and bring their heads back like trophies to him. He thinks I'm going to do what no one else can." I couldn't look at either of them. "He told me that Derek's family are the ones who killed mine, so I should be blaming him and his new pack."

"I don't want to hurt anyone else." I sobbed once again. These people have already done so much for me without even knowing me. I've been in this situation so many times, I'm growing sick of it.

"We know that. You don't have to worry about anything while you're here." Chris smiled. "Scott, why don't you show her where she's staying. You've had a long day, a nap will do you some good."

"Okay, come on, it's nothing special." Scott smiled grabbing my hand to pull me behind him. I looked at Chris over my shoulder as Scott pulled me up the stairs.