Chapter 29

I'm covered in more lead and wolfsbane than I possibly ever have been as we stand in an abandoned warehouse waiting for Deucalion to show. Chris insisted I have everything I could need if something went wrong, especially if he couldn't come with us. But he was still on bed rest, and it was arranged that Scott, Derek, Stiles, and I would be the only ones meeting with the Alpha.

Everyone was positive that there was nothing to honestly worry about regarding Duecalion. I'm sure the guys were far more worried about my temper and Derek's. But there was no way he would get left behind right now.

"Are you sure I can't have one?" Stiles asks, looking over the collection of knives on my right hip.

"Yes, Stiles. You already stress everyone out with being allowed to have a nine on your hip. We've already said that if Duecalion goes after anyone, it might be me." I roll my eyes. "This is also to show him I'm not going to pussyfoot around this conversation if he tries." I run my fingers along the bowstring in my hand. Besides twin pistols on my hips, and the unhealthy amount of knives, I have a rifle and quiver of arrows across my back with my bow in hand. The pouch of wolfsbane and other herbs on the small of my back, including mountain ash and others. Noise beacons are placed around the warehouse in case of an emergency. A mountain ash line is also ready to be completed once our guest arrives. I wasn't taking any chances.

"I'll have you know that I aced all my weapons safety courses. I had a perfect score in the field ops course. I am perfectly legal and certified by the FBI to carry and use my weapon." Stiles sticks his nose in the air.

"Are you two done bickering? He should be here any second." Derek grumbles. He and Scott had been talking on the other side of the warehouse; it looked like their conversation was over.

"We aren't bickering." Stiles and I say in unison.

There's no time for the conversation to continue when a car pulls into the warehouse. Derek stands to my right, Scott stands to my left, and Stiles takes his left. I drop the vile of mountain ash the second the man steps out of his car and into the circle, closing us in.

I draw an arrow from my quiver and knock it on my string, pulling it back, aimed between his eyes.

"I see not everyone is as friendly as we once were." I shift my aim slightly and release the arrow, allowing it to fly past his head and into the wall behind him. "She's good. Where did you dig this one up from?" Deucalion continues forward, standing within two feet of us. I sling my bow over my shoulder, crossing my arms.

"They are plenty friendly," I state, stepping forward. "I, on the other hand, do not know you. So, my kindness will not show itself until I know I can trust you. That arrow was your warning about what I could do if you chose to test me. I won't need those three to kill you." I nod over my shoulder at the guys.

"Did Scott not tell you I gave up fighting? If I did choose to break my alliance with him, I don't think you'd have the time to do much before your mate rips my throat out." Deucalion looks over my shoulder at Derek. Scott and Derek weren't kidding. He is smart.

"I'll be the judge of you today. Don't think I haven't heard stories of the blind Alpha." I grit my teeth. The arrogance that he gives off without having to say much makes me want to fill him with bullets.

"I see we're judging each other then. I must say that I'm impressed. You're under the impression that the ball is in your court." He laughs. I knew what he meant by that the second he said it, but he would man-splain it to me. "Was locking yourself in a mountain ash circle with me the smartest? Or shooting an arrow at my head without being provoked? You've made yourself out to be that you have the power in this situation, but do you really?" This was his test.