Chapter 18

"Scott," I called from the front desk of the animal clinic. I heard doors open and closed before Scott walked out into the waiting area. "How is he?"

"Derek's stable, but we don't know for how long. Deaton wants to see you." Scott weakly smiled, pulling me into a hug. "I won't let him die, Dani, I owe Derek too much to let him die," Scott whispered. I nodded into his shoulder, feeling more tears roll down my cheeks.

"Can I see Derek?" I ask, Scott smiled once again leading me back into a large room. Deaton stood looking at a monitor that multiple wires hung down from and led to the table that Derek was laying on. I felt my heart begin to beat rapidly, and my breathing became faster.

"Dani, I'm glad you're back. I want to go over what happened again with you." Deaton said, turning to me. I nodded as I slowly walked closer to Derek; his face was still pale and covered in sweat; he looked like he was in pain. I felt my hand begin to shake as I grabbed Derek's hand in mine; he was freezing.

"The flower, I know it's a rare type of wolfsbane, and for the life, for me, I can't remember what it's called." I sighed, grabbing a towel from the table Derek was laying on and dabbed his forehead with it. "It's not from around here, Gerard always had to travel for it, but it can grow here if taken care of properly. Gerard liked to get it from its motherland."

"That's a start. What about the men you encountered? You told Scott that they felt different to you." Deaton grabbed my now free hand, taking a seat next to me in a chair.

"They weren't werewolves; I know that. I'm not sure what they are, but from the way they acted, it was like they were waiting for this to happen. But I wasn't a part of their plan." I recalled.

"Do you think you've ever encountered something like them before?" Scott urged, resting his hand on my shoulder.

I bit my lip, trying to think. I watched Derek's chest rise and fall and felt his hand move in mine. I sighed, seeing his hand still limp in mine, it was only a twitch. "Huh," I mumbled, looking at my ring. It felt like the amber stone was pulling me in, I couldn't take my eyes off of it.

"Dani?" Deaton started.

"That's it!" I exclaimed, pulling at the ring on my finger. "My ring! The wolfsbane in the amber, it's the rare wolfsbane! I know it. Scott break it! Deaton, you can use it to test what kind it is!" I was fumbling around trying to get the ring from my finger, Scott had to grab my shoulders to stop me.

"Dani, calm down. Take a second and breathe." He smiled, grabbing my hand and quickly slipping the ring from it.

"Are you sure, Dani? I can work without breaking it." Deaton offered, taking the ring from Scott.

"No, it's okay. It's just a ring. If it can save Derek, I'll be happy." I shook my head. "I need to go help Chris now; I'm going to show him where the wolfsbane is at," I told them, grabbing Derek's hand once again.

"Be careful," Scott cautioned, "If you see those guys again, shoot them, for real this time."

I smirked, "Of course."