2. The Dinner

Chapter 2

Prince Dylan de Helios _____

_____

Around the time when Dylan was about to turn 10 years old, their kingdom was under a revolt. To protect the imperial family, his father sent him along with his mother and brother to the Kingdom of Anemoi. They had provided them refuge for around a year or so. Since he and the youngest princess, Lyra, was of a similar age, they had become quite close. They would practically be together all the time whether it was them studying playing or hanging out. The last image he had of her was of her crying behind her mother as it was time for them to go. Dylan is embarrassed to admit it, but he too shed tears upon seeing her cry. Sure he was gloomy about leaving as well but what made him cry was seeing her cry.

A few months after they had come back to their kingdom, the queen (i.e., the mother of the princesses) passed away due to a sudden illness. They wanted to visit and comfort them but due to the political instability that still existed in their kingdom, they were unable to leave. The sole way he could communicate with her was through letters. They had decided to write letters to each other after they departed. And they continued doing so till they both were 13. Just two years after the queen had passed away, news broke down of the king falling terminally ill. Since at that time, he was busy with his training, he again did not get the chance to go. Only his father was able to go and meet them. And that is when it happened.

After his father had come back, she stopped sending letters at all. He continued sending letters to her for around another year or two but each time he was met with an empty reply. And that's when he stopped sending letters to her and they both lost contact. It's been around 7 years now. They both are going to turn 20 this year.

"Instead of going to the hall, I would like to go to my room first. I am exhausted and I wish to rest."

Dylan ordered as the maid Rosa was taking them to the hall. Stopping she subsequently adds,

"Fine, then I will escort you to where the rest of the scholars are staying."

"Not there. He will go to the room prepared for the Prince."

"Pardon?"

Rosa blurted out as if Xavier had announced something absurd. She then looks at him and then at the Prince and after realizing what was going on, she immediately bowed down,

"Forgive me your highness for not recognizing you any sooner!"

"It's fine. Just show me my room, please."

"Of course. Right, this way."

As they enter the palace, the first thing that Dylan noticed was the change in the interior. He recalls how the Lyra used to love silver and was moreover into minimalist interior designs. But the walls and interior he saw now were quite heavy, overloaded, and full of gold. Even though it looked pretty in its own way, he was still surprised to perceive how much the place had changed.