15. Its Not a Shallow Love

Prince Dylan de Helios _______

_______

Chapter 15

It was another day when Dylan was getting prepared for another meeting that was going to happen soon. His hazel golden eyes reflect on the mirror as he thinks about how all day yesterday and even today everyone from Duke Nabal's family has been neglecting him. Even earlier for breakfast, the maid notified him that no breakfast was made. This was something indeed odd however he grasped the reason they were behaving this way. Just when he was about to visit Lyra, King Derek invited him to have breakfast with him. It is then that he found out that King Derek is aware of the fact that he was poisoned. While staring at his reflection, he recalls the conversation he participated in with the King earlier.

"What do you mean you were poisoned?"

Dylan interrogated astonished.

"I am very well aware of the fact that quite many years ago I had indulged a lethal poison. If it weren't for my brother and his family, I would have long expired. They detected it was poison quite early on and lent me the most skilled physician who is still attending to me."

"Does Lyra and Astrid know?"

Derek shakes his head in response and adds,

"I do not covet them to worry about my health. Especially Lyra, who I am sure, will sacrifice everything to expose the one behind the poisoning."

"Are you aware of the people behind this treachery?"

"I have my hunches but I am not sure what to do. Lyra holds that family in high regard and I don't want her trust to be broken."

"May I inquire whom you are referring to?"

"It is Duke Javis."

"You mean Lyra's maternal uncle? Why would he carry out such a thing?"

"Think about it, my dear boy. Let's assume I pass away. Lyra becomes the Queen. However back then, she was too young to be declared independent. Who do you imagine would have gained the most in that scenario? Javis could have sponsored Lyra and would have taken control over the throne. It is as simple as that."

"If that is the case then wouldn't..."

Dylan stops speaking as he surveys Derek's face. After a pause, he adds,

"It's nothing. I perceive your point."

Dylan decides not to mention anything even though he was going to say that if he thinks that is the motive then the person most to gain will be his brother who has a higher right to sponsor Lyra. Even now, he is the only one who is gaining by replacing the King as a temporary head.