32. CARRYING A CHIP ON HER SHOULDER

Crown Princess Lyra Belle de Anemoi _____________

_____________

Chapter 32

Lyra merrily comes back after ignoring the gossip that surrounded her. While she was going back to her palace she runs into Karen and Hubris.

With eyes full of spite, Karen mutters,

"Look who it is. The one that dared to hit my mother and has no values nor respect for elders."

Lyra doesn't even look at her and instead continues her walk. This irks Karen even more as she continues to bellow,

"Just wait. Soon people will get to know what kind of a hidden snake and a devil you are!"

Sighting Lyra pretending to not even heed her words, makes Karen irritated as she grabs a nearby stone and throws it at her.

Hubris catches the stone before it could hit Lyra.

Their actions just now make Lyra stop in her tracks. Hubris turns to face her and worriedly inquires,

"Are you alright?"

Lyra doesn't even look at him and continues walking.

"Ha! See how impolite that woman is whom you tried to protect."

Karen mocks Hubris who doesn't show any emotion in return. Instead, he glares at Karen,

"I believe you are the one who was being impolite here. You started yelling at an innocent woman who was merely walking by and even threw a stone at her."

"Are you out of your mind? She slapped Mother! That bitch doesn't deserve to be here."

"Language, Karen!"

"What the hell is wrong with you? I will tell this to Mother and she will set your mind in the right place!"

Stomping her feet, she goes away while Hubris keeps looking at the place where Lyra just was.

Tsk.

Biting his lips, he decides to go after her.

Lyra whose mood was sour after sighting two people she didn't wish to see, felt someone following her. Instantly, it flashed in her mind that it might be Hubris.

Internally groaning, she rolled her eyes. She did not want him following to back to her palace which is why she turned around,

"What the hell is your problem?"

"I just wanted to talk with you. I apologize for Karen's behavior. She is just upset at what happened."

"Done?"

Gulping, Hubris nervously added,

"Why are you being so rude? Can't you spare me a few minutes? I wish to start anew. I already apologized for all my actions."

"Did I forgive you? No. I don't recall ever doing that."

"Then what should I do to get you to forgive me? I wish to leave my family. You know, I was planning to secretly remove my name from the family's register only to find out it wasn't even there. Ha. Isn't it pathetic?"

"..."

"Well, on the bright side, it is good. I won't have to go through all the troublesome paperwork to get myself not associated with that family."

"You know...even if you stop associating yourself with them, you will remain the same kind as them. Family doesn't have to be blood-related. It can be having similar personality traits and sharing points of view. And you are just like them."

"No!"

Hubris was angered,

"I am not like them. I will never be like them. I am different. I am better."

Shrugging Lyra remarks smilingly,

"Well then consider yourself an upgraded version of that kind."

Hubris was speechless. Seeing that Lyra then turns around,

"I hope you don't follow me anymore. I'm sure you must have heard but I am the second in command now which means I can have you thrown into jail for even looking at me. Be careful. You do not want me to raise my hand the second time, no?"

Upon her words, Hubris's gaze narrows as he could still feel the burning sensation on his right cheek when Lyra had slapped him when he tried to assault her. Yes, it is true that that he remains the one who spread those rumours regarding Lyra and him back then. The main reason for doing so was because he had tried to sexually assault Lyra when he saw her coming out of the bathroom. Before Lyra could tell anyone about it, he spread those rumours to save face.

Right this moment as he was recalling the past, he noticed Lyra had long gone as she was walking away from him as she kept stating,

"I wish you luck in trying to disassociate with your family. And remember, I will not hesitate to raise my hands the next time. If there is any. Which you better hope is not since it won't end in a mere slap."

______________

Crown Princess Lyra Belle de Anemoi