. Chapter Thirteen : Endearment .

- Laizard -

Laizard and Volare were sitting beside each other underneath a large tree. It was late at night, but none of them have grown tired yet. They were both eating some cookies they've gotten from the bakery as a late-night snack. Laizard had been thinking about Remnac nonstop, and it had only made her worse and more afraid. She suddenly stopped taking bites out of her cookie, because the anxiety had made her start to feel all nauseous.

Volare took the last bite out of his own cookie, and seemed to notice Laizard's change in demeanor and placed his hand on her shoulder.

"You feeling okay?" He asked.

Laizard stared up at the Epic Air Wubbox with a worried glance. She knew better than to lie to him and replied:

"No, not really."

Volare frowned at the response.

"Would some physical attention help?" He then asked politely, reaching out his arm to her.

Laizard thought for a minute before nodding. She would appreciate the attention that Volare was offering to her.

Volare smiled as he placed his arm around Laizard's shoulder before pulling her in for a gentle embrace and started to pet her head with his free hand.

Laizard appreciated the affection that was being given to her by her friend, and she began to make a low purr of a noise. She then returned the hug, wrapping her arms around Volare's torso. She completely forgot about Remnac during this, for now she was focused on Volare.

"Is this working?" Volare asked as he loosened the hug a bit to not accidentally crush Laizard.

"Mhm." Laizard replied quietly. 

"Good!"

The two then pulled away from each other and Laizard continued to feast on the half-eaten cookie in her paws. After about a minute, when she took the last bite out of her cookie, Holly came by around the corner to check on the two.

"...Is everything okay?" He asked. "How's Laizard feeling?"

"She's just fine." Volare replied with a small smile.

Laizard nodded in agreement, even though she could feel some of her recent wounds sting a little bit still.

"A'righty, just checking." Holly said sheepishly with also a small smile as he quickly went away.

There was a long pause in between Laizard and Volare, until Laizard decided to speak up.

"Pretty stars, huh?"

"Huh? Oh, yeah! Very pretty." Volare seemed to agree with Laizard's comment, now starting to stargaze with her as he leaned back more against the tree.

Laizard remembered how she used to climb the trees on Wyvern Island to go see the stars with her child, Zosa. She turned back to look at the tree they were resting on and got up to start climbing.

"What are you doing?" Volare asked, a bit startled.

"Going to see the stars."

"Oh? Uhm, y'know, I could probably help you get a better look!"

Laizard then turned back to look at the Epic Air Wubbox with a curious expression.

"How?"

"Well, uhm, I can show you!" Volare said, outstretching his arms.

What is he trying to do?

Laizard seemed a bit skeptical of this idea as she stayed where she was. Was Volare offering to fly her up in the sky to look at the stars more clearly since she couldn't do it herself with her broken wings? That does sound like a sweet idea. But what if it's a trick? What if Volare is finally ready to backstab her and drop her when they reach a high enough altitude? No way. If he wanted to betray her, he would've done so long ago by leaving her to die during Remnac's attacks. Right??