Chapter 23 - Damn

Chapter 23 – Damn

** Courtney's POV **

"Troy. I think... I think we need to break up." 

Troy just looked at me. His brows were knitted in pure confusion. It seems that he was completely taken aback of what I just said.  

Well, I couldn't blame him. Truth be told, I was shocked too of the words that came out of my mouth. I wasn't sure what possessed me at that moment. 

"You're kidding, right?" Troy asked with confusion lacing his tone. 

I thought of it for a second. I wondered if what I said was just a spur of the moment or I was just tired. But then something inside me tells me that I wasn't kidding at all.  

Somehow, I felt that I wanted this to happen. 

I shook my head, indicating a no. "Troy, I'm not—" 

"No." Troy protested. "You're just tired. You don't know what you're talking about. We can't break up. We have plans. We have prom. We're the golden couple. People look up to us." He insisted. When he said those words, it made things clear for me. 

I really want to break up with him. 

"What? That's your only reason? People look up to us?" I couldn't believe what I was hearing.  

Troy's more worried about appearance than our real relationship. 

Seriously? Did we really have a real relationship? Or we just did it for show? 

"Of course not, babe. Hey, calm down." He touched my back and tried to sooth me out. But I was still angry about what he just said a while ago. "You know what, you're just tired. You say those words because you're exhausted. Just rest and let's talk about this—" 

"No, Troy. We don't have to talk about this. We're over." I said with conviction. 

Troy just stood up. "No, Court. We're far from over. I'll give you time to think and gather your thoughts. We'll talk and be okay again when I come back. I'll be leaving tomorrow for football camp. You have weeks to think." 

"But—" 

"No, Courtney. We're in a relationship here. You're not the only one who could decide. I have a say too. We'll talk after I come back. Goodbye." 

Troy started walking away but I stood up and followed him. "Troy. There's no need to talk..." He didn't look back, he just continued walking towards his car. He was purposely ignoring me. He's not listening. 

He opened his car and then he closed it with a loud bang. He started the engine and drove fast with a loud screeching of the tires. Then he's gone. 

I closed my eyes and took a deep breath.  

Why, Courtney? Why is this happening? Are you really just tired? 

That was probably the most dramatic scene of my life. I'd never been like that before. I was always sure of myself, but now I questioned everything. I even question myself.  

It was as if this is not me anymore. 

I let go of the questions that had been swarming in my mind and went to my room. 

I jumped on my bed and get my phone. I was scrolling my contacts and I stopped when I saw Chad's name in my phonebook.  

I was feeling depress and gloomy. But then seeing Chad's name and remembering what happened a while ago—about what he said that he only wants my attention and he has his eyes on me, really made me smile.