Chapter 43 - All Too Well

CHAD's POV

For obvious reasons, I didn't tell Jackson about my plans today. There is no doubt that he would talk me out of doing it. I knew he'd be furious if he knew what I was about to do. After all, he had been warning me about this for weeks.

I don't blame him. After everything that had happened, I was so sure he became a lot more skeptical about Courtney and her motives. Still, I was determined to prove him wrong.

But if I told him about what happened a couple of days ago-the confession and our initial agreement, Jackson would only think that this was part of Courtney's plan. He would definitely try to make me realize that my illusion of Courtney and me was all based on lies.

Jackson would think his timing was right. That after he talked Courtney out, he somehow made himself believe she grew some conscience and let go of her games. To make things more fitting to his idealization, Courtney's ex boyfriend returned--making Jackson believed even more that she was just back to her old self and life.

But not for me.

For me, the timing wasn't fitting.

She wouldn't just confess her feelings out of the blue, especially if she knew her boyfriend was coming home soon. Second, if she really felt guilty and pity me because of my past, we wouldn't have agreed to let our friends know about our relationship.

I still remember the day I picked her up early in the morning to take her to school. She looked so happy. We shared a special bond that day. Like how she squeezes my hand affectionately while I drive, and whenever I kiss her hand, she blushes easily. I knew I would always remember it.

We even shared stolen glances and smiles at each other yesterday during lunch. She told me she planned to tell her friends about us.

Her friends.

Did her opinion about us change in any way because of her friends?

I considered it for a second, but I recalled the scene in the cafeteria awhile ago and their absence told me it had nothing to do with them.

That was also one of the things I found really strange. If Courtney decided to return to her old self, she would have been surrounded by her friends as well. However, judging by the looks of things, it would seem that their absence from her side would mean something.

I waited patiently outside Raider's house for a while. It was the same house party that she had attended before. But this party was smaller than the last time. There was still a lot of noise, but it wasn't as loud as before.

As a result, I was able to spot Courtney right away. Exactly at the right moment, she was heading outside, getting ready to go.

So I followed her to her car. It was just a block away from the house party. Just as she was about to close her car door, I ran to her.

"What—"

I could see the look of surprise on her face when she saw me. Clearly, she hadn't expected to find me there. I could tell she was caught off guard by me standing there.

We looked at each other for a moment, then she quickly composed herself. Her expressions hardened.

In that moment, I knew she didn't want me here, but she couldn't do anything about it. This matter was important to me, and I was determined to find out what was going on.

She tried to ignore me, but I wouldn't let her. Despite her attempts to close the car door, I pulled it harder, hoping to stop her from leaving.

"What is going on, Courtney?" I questioned her, trying to understand why she was so determined to leave.