Chapter 45 - Karma Is A Bitch

COURTNEY'S POV

What should I do?

Coming up with a plan while under pressure was no easy task, especially with Troy's intense gaze fixed on me.

I need to come up with something as soon as possible. Because if I remained silent for too long, he would become suspicious of me.

My plan was to tell Chad the truth, all the things I'd learned today. I need to be honest with him and come up with a plan to deal with the situation.

I guess we should keep our relationship a secret for now just in case.

But there's one problem.

"If someone rats on him, I bet you will ruin him, too."

Could that someone be Troy?

Would he really tell on Chad?

That's a huge possibility, especially if I tell him that the reason I broke up with him was because I was already in love with someone else. That I didn't really love him. That what we had was convenience.

The problem was, if I did this, I might anger him and make the situation more complicated than it already was.

And if I refused to get back together with him, he might seek revenge in some way or another. Like spreading malicious rumors about me that could ruin Chad.

"Imagine what would happen to that geek after all this? Does he have a scholarship or something? Maybe he will end up in that camp, too."

I was scared.

Knowing Troy, he wouldn't think twice to do this. I was torn if I should just go along with him or stand up for myself.

I knew I had to make a decision quickly.

"No matter what happens, don't fight any battles for my sake."

Chad's voice echoed in my head.

My first promise.

At that moment, I thought it was about making Olivia pay. I was so determined to avenge Chad. For all the horrible things she did to him. For all the things he lost because of her.

But little did I know, it was actually about making myself pay.

I felt a huge weight on my shoulders, a responsibility to keep my word no matter what. I knew I had to keep this promise, no matter the cost.

But, if I keep this promise, it would destroy Chad.

"As long as you promise not to compromise yourself or give up anything you love for my sake."

At the end of the day, one of us would break our first promise to each other.

And knowing Chad, he would take the blame just to save me.

To keep me out of trouble, he would admit the rumor, ruin his record, and lose something important again. And no matter how much I denied this, my past was a solid evidence that I was capable of doing the same thing again.

There was no way out.

Unfortunately, evil deeds won't disappear no matter what. They will always come back to haunt you. You can't run away from it, so you have to face it, take responsibility, and make amends.

Karma is a bitch.

I was so pissed that Olivia hadn't gotten her karma yet, but mine came with full force.