Chapter 52 - Someone To Talk To

COURTNEY'S POV

I quickly walked to my car, which was parked just near Chad's house.

Did I expect him to chase me? No.

Do I want to? Yes, desperately.

But it didn't happen.

I looked over my shoulder for the last time to see, but he wasn't there. I sighed, feeling a knot in my stomach as reality hit me with the truth. I knew I shouldn't have hoped for anything different, but was it too much to ask?

I felt a tear trickling down my cheek, a tear I had suppressed since I saw him. I brushed the tear away and continued my way, trying to forget the pain.

Despite my best efforts, it did not turn out the way I had hoped.

What? Do you expect everything to be easy?

The inner me mocked.

It's not like I didn't try. I put in the work, but it didn't turn out well.

Now what?

I asked myself, feeling really lost at the moment.

Honestly, I had no answers to that. At this point, I was only relying on Terry. That's why I need to get home quickly and find out what she has to say about all this. Her advice would be the only way for me to make any sense of my situation. I just hope it will be enough to get me back on track.

I was about to open the car door when someone tapped on my shoulder. I was startled and quickly spun around to see who it was.

"Jackson?"

"Hey." A small smile spread across his face.

For a second there, I thought he was... I shake off the idea and focus on what is in front of me.

Jackson sighed and rubbed the back of his neck. "Did you meet her?"

I felt my stomach twist at the word her. I wasn't sure why, but it just made me uneasy. I took a deep breath and put on a brave face as I answered, "Yeah."

"And?" He frowned, probably expecting more from me.

I was debating with myself if I should continue and tell him how I really felt. I knew Jackson didn't like me, but I also remembered what Terry said. He somehow helped Chad to see me and talk to me, by subtly saying I was at a party near his house.

It did happen, yeah, but I wasn't sure if it was what he expected.

I blew it off. That one chance, I totally blew it off.

I wasn't sure if Jackson still intended to help me after what happened. I wonder if he knew what Chad and I talked about, also the library and the exam papers incident. If he does, then I wasn't sure what he was doing by asking me all this. I bet he was thinking that I had proved him right. That I will just hurt his best friend.

And I did.

But if not, I guess being honest about how I feel is the best option. After all, I am desperate for someone to talk to, especially someone close to Chad.

I decided to tell him the truth and see his response.

"They looked like they missed each other." I told him honestly, my voice stern but cracking.

"They were always close, yeah, but I'm sure Chad was just caught off guard. He never expected her to come, and he hadn't seen or talked to her in years. Maybe that's why it came out like that." Jackson shrugged his shoulder and I could tell he was trying to be comforting.