Chapter 51 - The Outsider

COURTNEY'S POV

They both looked at each other like they were the only ones in the room.

"Livi." His voice was low with a hint of... longing as he said her name.

Olivia waved her hand and responded softly, "Hi my Cat."

My heart clenched as I watched their interaction. I could tell from the look in Chad's eyes that he still cared deeply for Olivia, and the way they called each other...

Livi.

my Cat.

I felt a pang of jealousy shoot through me.

Their connection was still strong and palpable. I could feel it all the way from where I was standing.

Even after all these years and what she had done to him, their bond was still intact?

"Chad, is that you?" Rebecca's voice echoed throughout the room, and it somehow broke whatever spell Chad and Olivia were under.

She walked towards him and continued, "This is my surprise. Olivia will stay with us until her competition. Isn't it nice?" She was beaming with excitement as she said this. I was almost convinced that Rebecca was rooting for both of them to be together.

Or even back together.

This scene was just breaking me. I felt invisible, helpless, and a complete outsider. I guess coming here was such a bad idea after all.

I know I have to stay focused and determined to finish what I started, but how? They were having a mini reunion and probably a major comeback here. As for me, I just wanted to undo my mistakes and get back to where it was before.

But that plan seems so far-fetched now.

Honestly, I was so uncomfortable and just wanted to leave, but I found myself rooted in place. I just couldn't bring myself to move. Well, at the back of my mind, I was hoping they'd notice me eventually. I was dying to see Chad's reaction. I was wondering if he would look at me the same way he looked at Olivia.

And as if the universe heard my plea, Rebecca's eyes suddenly shifted in my direction.

"Oh, and Courtney is here as well." The moment she said my name, Chad's head whipped to where his mum pointed, and we immediately stared at each other. It's obvious that it was the only time he realized I was here.

That's how focused he was on Olivia or Livi, huh?

I could tell from his eyes that he was surprised to see me. His face was a mask of confusion as he tried to process why I was there. My stomach twisted and I could feel my heart sinking as I watched the disappointment register on his face.

Thinking about what happened at the library and the way Chad was looking at me right now, I was absolutely certain that coming here was a bad idea. It was too soon for me to show up.

Why do I continue to make terrible decisions? I should have consulted Terry first before taking any action!

When will I learn?

Chad didn't even try to hide his displeased looked. He walked towards us, his eyes fixed on mine. "What are you doing here, Collins?" His voice sounded low and strained.

What the hell?

I bit my lower lip, trying to suppress the pain. It was throbbing and I could feel my eyes stinging as tears welled up. I tried to focus on something else, anything else, to distract myself from the pain and tears from falling.