Chapter 55 - I Believe You

COURTNEY'S POV

I ran after them, just when they were about to reach the parking lot, I called out Chad's name. He stopped in his tracks, but didn't turn around.

I just can't take this anymore.

"I want to talk to you."

I demanded, as if I had the right to do so. But who was I kidding? I think I lost that privilege the moment I pushed him away. I had made my bed and now I had to lie in it. I knew he had every right to ignore me and brush me off, but still, I just want him to believe that I didn't push Olivia, and I want him to hear my side of the story, the whole of it. Why I did what I did and hurt him in the process.

So I just stood there, hoping he would eventually turn around and talk to me.

He said something to Olivia and gave her what seems like a key. From where I was standing, Olivia looked hesitant, then she turned to me and furrowed her brows before walking away.

Chad stayed where he was. I wasn't sure but I took it as a sign that he would talk to me. So, I slowly walked towards him, trying to get closer.

When he turned to face me, I saw a blank expression on his face. This made my heart sink, and I felt a lump in my throat as I tried to find the right words to say.

Chad didn't look mad, but he didn't look happy either. He said nothing and just stared at me, making me feel unsure and uncomfortable. But I swallowed my hesitations and mustered up the courage to speak up. I knew that whatever I had to say, it wasn't going to be easy.

"Chad, I didn't push her. Believe me--"

"I believe you." He interrupted me before I could finish my sentence. Though he said he believed me, it seems like he didn't really believe what I said.

"Chad, I didn't push her." I insisted, my voice trembling with frustration.

Chad sighed and pinched the bridge of his nose. He shook his head and said, "Courtney, I believe you. Okay?" His voice was tired, a mixture of exhaustion and exasperation. "In fact, after everything, whatever you say at this point, I'll believe it. You didn't push her, okay, you didn't. You didn't want to be saved, no problem, you didn't. It was all an act, sure. I don't know what else you want from me."

My mouth went dry, my throat tightening, and I felt tears prickling my eyes. I didn't see that one coming. I just wanted him to understand me, but his words conveyed a sense of resignation and acceptance, as if he was giving up on trying to really understand me.

"You already got what you wanted. I just don't understand why you keep doing this? Just like what you said, you don't have use of me anymore. I already gave the exam papers. So why waste your time on a loser like me?" Chad looked at me with a mixture of confusion and frustration, his brow creased and his lips pursed. I could see he was suppressing his emotions. His fists clenched tight and his jaw set in a tense line, but his eyes conveyed the hurt and betrayal he was feeling.

Watching him like this, I felt a deep pang of guilt in my chest and it broke my heart. I had pushed him too far, and now he was hurting because of me. I wished I could take back what I said, but it was too late. I betrayed his trust and taken advantage of him. I wanted to say something to make things right, but I was too ashamed to speak.

Honestly, I have nothing to say. Aside from I was too stunned to even open my mouth, I honestly didn't expect this. Part of me was hurt by Chad's comment, but I reminded myself that he was just quoting the words I used to him before.

The impact of what I told him had taken its toll.

I admit it was painful. Like a slap in the face, his words hit me hard! Imagine how hurt I am now. At that time, it must have been ten times for him!