NICO DI ANGELO

You'd think Eros, the god of love, would be the most beautiful man on Earth. And skies.

Think again.

As soon as I'd reached the Underworld, I'd been welcomed by Dad with nothing but a 'hello,' and I was incredibly happy. Half the time he didn't even do that.

The first thing we had to do was have a conversation with someone who knew what truly was happening to Tartarus, and why his powers were so strong so suddenly.

This is where one the world's most beautiful men came into play.

"You called me?" Thanatos asked calmly as he entered the court. He was lean and muscular, with a regal face, honey gold eyes, and black hair flowing down his shoulders. His skin was the color of teakwood, and his dark wings glimmered in shades of blue, black, and purple.

"Actually, yes," my dad said. 

"What happened?" Thanatos asked, frowning. Usually my dad never interrupted Thanatos from his duty of reaping souls.

"What happened?" Dad asked. "My land is dying is what's happening! Have you not seen outside- the fields of Asphodel?"

"I have, yes," Thanatos replied calmly. "But I do not see how I am related to this."

Dad looked to me and jerked his head towards Thanatos, as though asking me to explain.

I stood up from my chair. "We need to ask you some questions, Thanatos, if you wouldn't mind."

Thanatos looked to me, and nodded with a small smile. Dad waved his hand and a large black leather seat appeared behind the God of Peaceful Death. He sat down straight and looked at me expectantly. 

"Alright," I cleared my throat. "Now, first, I want to know whether an incident like this has ever occurred before in the Underworld... spirits being trapped in Tartarus, the whole deal."

"No," Thanatos, Dad, Macaria and Melinoe said together at once.

"I don't think so," said Persephone, smiling sweetly at me. 

I had to look away to hide my feelings of disgust. She hated me, and I hated her too. Mutual disgust is the best policy ever.

"Okay," I said, walking around the court, thinking. "If it hasn't happened up until now, that means something has happened in Tartarus, or here, that has turned the tables...." 

Melinoe nodded. "Something, or someone, has allowed or given Tartarus permission to take over spirits from the Underworld."

"Yes," I confirmed, "but I remember Percy Jackson-"

"Oh not that boy!" Persephone said, putting a hand to her forehead.

I cleared my throat. "I remember Percy Jackson telling me that on his first quest, he was almost sucked in by Tartarus- of course, with the help of some flying shoes, but the pit did try to pull him in around the edges."

Thanatos nodded. "Yes, but at that time maybe Tartarus had help from Kronos."

I frowned. "So, are you saying that Tartarus uses the power of the monsters or Titans living in him to pull spirits?"

"It's a very viable theory," Dad beamed.

"I think so, yes," Thanatos said decidedly. "I have been talking to my mother, the lady Nyx."

Dad visibly frowned at the name, as though he feared, or more importantly, respected her.

"And what does she say?" I asked Thanatos. 

Thanatos took a deep breath. "Last I heard from her, she was saying that the monsters of Tartarus are rallying together- they are standing united."