PERCY JACKSON

"We just let them pass," said Tonks in a hollow voice. "We thought they were being chased by the Death Eaters--and next thing, the other Death Eaters and Greyback were back and we were fighting again--I thought I heard Snape shout something, but I don't know what--"

"He shouted, 'It's over,'" said Harry. "He'd done what he'd meant to do."

Fawkes's lament was still echoing over the dark grounds outside as we fell silent once more.

It wasn't just lamenting the loss of Dumbledore-- it was echoing the worry of every household in the world that moment.

Half the universe was gone. 

I swallowed. What could we do? And then an incredibly terrible thought struck my head. Were the gods gone as well?

The doors of the hospital wing burst open, making me all jump: Arthur and Molly were striding up the ward, Fleur just behind them, her beautiful face terrified.

"Molly--Arthur--" said Professor McGonagall, jumping up and hurrying to greet them. "I am so sorry--"

"Bill," whispered Molly, darting past Professor McGonagall as she caught sight of Bill's mangled face. "Oh, Bill!"

Lupin and Tonks had got up hastily and retreated so that they could get nearer to the bed. Molly bent over her son and pressed her lips to his bloody forehead.

"You said Greyback attacked him?" Arthur asked Professor McGonagall distractedly. "But he hadn't transformed? So what does that mean? What will happen to Bill?"

"We don't yet know," said Professor McGonagall, looking helplessly at Lupin.

"There will probably be some contamination, Arthur," said Lupin. "It is an odd case, possibly unique... we don't know what his behavior might be like when he awakens..."

Molly took the nasty-smelling ointment from Will and began dabbing at Bill's wounds.

"And Dumbledore..." said Arthur. "Minerva, is it true... is he really...?"

When McGonagall did not answer, Jason said, "Yes." Arthur stared at him for a moment, his eyes glistening as he took the news.

"Dumbledore gone," whispered Arthur, but Molly had eyes only for her eldest son; she began to sob, tears falling onto Bill's mutilated face.

"Of course, it doesn't matter how he looks... it's not r-really important... but he was a very handsome little b-boy... always very handsome... and he was g-going to be married!"

Everyone had turned their attention to Fleur and Molly now.

"And what do you mean by zat?" said Fleur suddenly and loudly. "What do you mean, 'he was going to be married?'"

Molly raised her tear-stained face, looking startled. "Well--only that--"

"You theenk Bill will not wish to marry me anymore?" demanded Fleur. "You theenk, because of these bites, he will not love me?"

"No, that's not what I--"

"Because 'e will!" said Fleur, drawing herself up to her full height and throwing back her long mane of silver hair. Will was grinning. "It would take more zan a werewolf to stop Bill loving me!"

"Well, yes, I'm sure," said Molly, "but I thought perhaps--given how--how he--"

"You thought I would not weesh to marry him? Or per'aps, you hoped?" said Fleur, her nostrils flaring. "What do I care how he looks? I am good-looking enough for both of us, I theenk! All these scars show is zat my husband is brave! And I shall do zat!" she added fiercely, pushing Molly aside and snatching the ointment from her.