NICO DI ANGELO

My hands were shaking. I put down the shovel and examined my palms as I talked to Thanatos. "So now you report to Athena or my father?" 

My hands were pink and raw. Skin was tearing in all the places. I wondered whether I'd be trimming off calluses soon.

"I don't know," Thanatos replied, putting down the shovel as well. Cerebus continued to work as I sat on the ground next to the big Pit that led to Tartarus. "I'm reporting things to both of them. Athena's got the power now, but Hades still has the experience."

"Makes sense," I said, frowning. "I hate this job. Athena should've given us a bit more backup."

"What, other than the biggest dog in the universe and two ex-immortal goddesses?" Melinoe asked me. 

"Hey, I'm just saying I wouldn't say no to some extra help," I shrugged. 

"He's not wrong," Macaria said. "I mean, covering up the pit with underworld dust and dirt is a big deal. We've been working on this for what, a month now?"

"We're almost there," Thanatos smiled. "That's the power of the Deathly people!"

We stared at the god of death in shock. "Is this why you rarely talk to the souls you reap?" Melinoe asked.

Thanatos grunted and we laughed. 

"You all never appreciate me enough," the god grumbled. 

"Alright, alright," I stood up and dusted my jeans. "Let's get back to work-"

"DEMIGODS, ASSEMBLE!" Poseidon's voice blared through the sky. I frowned and closed my ears. "AT OLYMPUS."

"Damn it, he has to learn to use the sky better," Macaria said. 

"Tell me about it," Thanatos said. He turned to me. "Go."

"Yeah, we'll take care of it until you're back," Melinoe said. "See what the sea god wants and be back soon as possible."

"Alright," I said, nodding at them and setting off towards Charon's boat.

***

The gates opened up into the throne room, where ten approximately seven adults stood in front of twelve thrones, all lined up and standing focused. 

I walked to the thrones. The twelve gods were staring at their own weapons. I walked to Hades' throne and kneeled. "Father."

"Rise, my son," Hades said. I walked to the line of demigods and stood by them. I recognized Percy, Clarisse, Ariana and Thalia among others. 

"The gods," Athena announced, "can no longer use their weapons because their powers are not associated with them. And they cannot lend them to the new gods either, because one god should never give away their weapons to other gods."

"Okay...?" Percy asked. "Where are we leading with this?"

Apollo smiled, "A parent, however, can always give their child a weapon that was once theirs."

"Wait..." Thalia said, her eyes wide.

"Are you telling me.." I said, only then realizing the sincerity of the words. "you're giving weapons away?"

"No," Apollo said. "I'm not. My powers are intact. But some of the gods have lost their power, and they intend to give their weapons to their children until they get their powers back. This was a unanimous call."

"What about Hera?" Ariana asked. 

"I'll give my weapon to Jason," Hera said. "I'm his patron, after all."

"So that's why you called us?" Ariana asked. "To give us weapons?"

"Yes," Athena said, standing up and walking to her daughter. "And I'll begin. Ariana, you are the most successful leader I've made. Until the time Tartarus is defeated, I give you my cloak Aegis to protect yourself and your loved ones during the war. Use it wisely." She removed the white cloak that had been pinned to her shoulders and carefully placed them in Ariana's hands. "You are invulnerable now."

Ariana kneeled with the cloak still in her hands. "Thank you."

Athena nodded and put her hand on Ariana's shoulder and helped her rise. The two nodded at each other before taking a step back.

"Thalia," Zeus boomed. "You are my eldest daughter and the only one strong enough to wield my weapons, for your brother cannot wield two godly weapons at the same time. I give you my master bolt," he said, bringing out a long spear like tube that glowed and crackled with lightning. "Lieutenant of Artemis, you are heir to my weapons."

Thalia grinned and took the master bolt from her father and kneeled. Zeus did not react. He took a step back and nodded at his daughter. 

Hades stood up next. I was taken aback. Me? I thought he would've chosen Hazel... "Nico Di Angelo," Hades said, almost smiling, "you have always remained faithful to me, even though I haven't always been kind enough to return the favor. You have opened my eyes and shown me what family truly looks like. I deem you worthy of my sword and my helm of darkness. Do not use it rashly."

I smiled a bit. I taught him what family was? I kneeled to my father and took the weapons from him, a stygian iron blade and a war helmet, which glowed red and turned black the moment I touched it. "Thank you, Dad."

He smiled. "No, thank you."

Poseidon was next. He stood form his fisherman's chair, smiling. "Perseus Jackson," he said. 

Percy grinned. "Dad."

"I won't give a speech like them," Poseidon said. "But I wanted you to know this. Triton cannot fight above land because of.. some... features of his legs, but you, my son... you can. Percy, you are the most worthy mortal of my weapon. Triton may be king under the sea, but I proclaim you the king of the sea over land. My trident is yours. Use it like Alexandra would."

Percy blinked back tears and took the trident from his father, examining it with curiosity. And then he put the trident on the ground gently, bent back up and hugged his father. "Thanks, Dad."

Ares handed over a spear to Frank rather sentimentally, and Aphrodite provided Piper with her girdle of beautification and asked Piper to not damage it. Demeter gave away her scythe to Katie Gardner and blessed her to grow as many plants as possible. Hermes, although he hadn't lost any power, gave away three pairs of flying sandals each to his oldest living sons, Conner and Travis. It was all sentimental.

"How is the closing of the Pit going?" Athena asked me as the event came to a close.

"Pretty okay," I replied. "I hope it works."

"The Pit will open anyway," Percy said. "We know that."

"But as long as we can slow it down... I think we'll be safe for the time-being until we get our armies arranged," Ariana nodded.

"How's that going?" Athena asked.

"Egyptians and Vikings are in," Percy grinned. "I'm still waiting on the Avengers."

"What about the spirits?"

"The spirits," I said, "the ones in Isles of Blest are willing. I need to convince Elysium and Asphodel. They need some sort of prize, a deal, just like the gods. Perhaps we can give them a few perks-"

"We can take slave those who deserve to punished," Dad said.

"What?" I asked.

"Sisyphus, Tantalus," Dad started counting and counted down more people who had been specially punished by him during his reign as king of the Underworld. "Use them. They have one condition. They are slaves of the Underworld when needed. It's always a part of the deal. So I can guarantee you can already add in a thousand souls from the Fields of Punishment."

"The sorceresses are coming on well," Ariana said. "They'll be our greatest asset yet, along with Circe leading them. All of them have charm and magic so powerful that I thought I'd fall head over heels for them, and I'm straight."

"Rome is ready," Frank said. "We've gotten reinforcements of Imperial Gold and our Eagles are ready for pursuit. We'll travel anywhere as quickly as possible. All arrangements have been made to build camps and strongholds in mere hours."

"The Egyptians are bringing good magicians from their Underworld as well," Percy said. "I've been talking. They're slowly moving quarters from Brooklyn to London as well. Hopefully we'll be ready when Tartarus finally comes."

"We don't have time to be just hopeful," Athena said. "It's time to be productive and act."