BONUS: THE DAY SHE TOOK CHARGE OF KIDS

"Hermes made a deal with Apollo that- excuse me, please- CAN YOU LISTEN?" I yelled at the class.

Hermes Cabin went extremely quiet.

I cleared my throat. "So, Hermes made a deal with Apollo that he'll get to have half the cows, and asked for the gift of prophecy. But Apollo was reluctant because it was a part of his job. So he gave Hermes the gift of telling fortune with dice. Any questions?"

A hand went straight up into the air. "But couldn't Apollo make a lyre by himself? He could've just copied Hermes' design," Annabeth said.

"Apollo was so overjoyed hearing the music on the lyre that he forgot about everything else," I replied. "It's a good war strategy. You distract the opponent with something they love, and then attack.... but that's not the point, is it?"

"No, it isn't," Annabeth said, grinning. "Thanks."

"Your welcome," I smiled at the kid. "Luke."

The boy looked up from his origami paper plane, clearly in shock.

"Good morning."

"Hi," Luke blushed.

I rolled my eyes. "Can you please tell us what exactly did Hermes get from Apollo- besides the cattle."

Luke blinked. "Uh... he got the gift of prophecy..?"

I raised an eyebrow at him.

"The gift of telling fortune with dice," he corrected himself.

"Okay... what else?"

Luke raised his fingers, counting. He stopped at two, confused.

"Anyone else?" I asked.

Annabeth's hand went up instantly.

"Not you," I told her. "You've already answered half my questions."

Annabeth pouted in reply.

"No? No one other than her? Come on guys, I taught this to you last class!"

"Oh, oh!" Laverna's eyes lit up. "The caduceus."

"Perfect!" I applauded her effort. "We're just missing a few more things."

"The sandals and the staff!" Annabeth said quickly.

I couldn't help but smile at her willingness to participate. And yet, I sighed. "I told you not to say that."

Annabeth blushed. "Sorry."

"It's fine," I said, smiling. "You're a fast learner, Annabeth. At this point, I think I know who your parent is... but I'm just waiting."

I looked up at the clock. Time for archery with Chiron. "Alright, guys. Time's up. I've got classes to attend.. so have you. See you at five with your swords!"

I collected the textbooks, put them away into the drawer hurriedly, imagined my bow and arrows in my hand, and ran out the class along with Hermes Cabin. We split ways as they went onto Canoeing lessons and I went to Chiron.

"Morning!" I called as the centaur trotted to the arena.

"How are we today?" Chiron asked.

"Better," I replied. "It's only been a week, but I think I'm starting to accept the fact that he's gone now."

Chiron nodded solemnly.

"Besides, I heard he's living the life in the Isles of Blest," I grinned.

"Where'd you hear that?" Chiron asked, confused.

"Oh... one hears news around the corner," I replied. "Shall we begin, then?"

"Without me?" Lee asked, strutting into the field.

"Oh, wouldn't dream of it," I rolled my eyes.

"Exactly."

If I could've rolled my eyes harder, trust me, I would have.

"Today, we will be learning how to use the upgraded arrows we created last class," Chiron said. "I trust you have them safe?"

"Yes, sir," we replied, taking out the arrow from our quivers.

It was a rather more heavy arrow, made from Celestial Bronze, that Chiron insisted that Lee and I create on our own. The tip of the arrow could extend into a long chain, considering if we had done it right.

"Take aim," Chiron said. "Up the Climbing Wall you go."

I looked up. Lava was oozing from the wall. I hesitated as I nocked the arrow into my bow.

Chiron, almost as though he knew we were doubtful, said, "Your bow has the power to send an arrow to kill, maim, and brush past without hurting. It has the power of the gods in it. Trust in the raw power of your bow. See your destination in your mind's eye. And let go."

I could hear him trotting forward and backward as I took aim.

"Relax your hands, Ariana."

I took a deep breath.

"Lee, you're relaxing your hand too much. No wonder your arrow's falling from your bow."

Lee glared at me as I snorted.

I turned back, focusing on reaching the wall. I'd have to get through the lava. Going to be a little tough, unless-

I aimed to the sky, titled my arrow a little down, and let go.

Thank the gods. The hard work had paid off. The arrow extended into a large chain as it flew in the air. And then, it turned down, falling at a speed so fast I thought it was going to break against the wall.

It came down, and to my delight, it planted itself firmly onto the flat surface of the wall- it's highest point.

The chain was at least ten feet long, and it extended until my legs from the peak of the wall. I took the chain, grinning, and began to climb.

It didn't take long for Lee to follow, his arrow landing right next to mine.

"Copycat," I sneered at him as I helped him up to the top.

Lee stuck his tongue out and winked.

Chiron was smiling. He waved at us to come down.

"That was very wise of you," Chiron told me. "Last time any of my students tried that move.... let's not talk about that. But yes, I was expecting you to think of the right way to aim the arrow."

"Well, if I planted right on the steep side of the wall, it could slide off as I'm climbing," I replied. "It was pretty obvious."

"Not always," Chiron warned me. "Sometimes, looks can be very deceiving-"

"Ariana!"

I turned around. It was Luke. "What happened?" I asked.

"Annabeth needs you, apparently," he was panting. "The Armory-"

I turned to Chiron.

"She's been claimed," we said together, eyes wide.

"Come on," Chiron said, trotting away.

"Easy for you to say, horse man," I muttered, running behind him at full speed. "Come on, Luke!"

We dashed to the armory, a small shed beside the Athena cabin, filled with all the weapons the Greeks could find.

A crowd of campers had circled around the entrance to the barn.

Two owls were standing on her head. Three were sitting on each of her arms. A golden glow came from one of the owls on her head, and it pecked on her head.

"Ow!" Annabeth giggled.

Chiron blinked for a moment. And then he came to his senses. "Hail, Annabeth Chase, daughter of Athena."

"Hail!"