Chapter 2

AN: Didn't expect an enthusiastic response from you everyone for this fanfic! Thank you!

Chapter 2: Survival at the Beginning

        Staring at their Class representative and best friend Jun Tae-Woo, he also notices some other familiar faces nearby his best friend. Nam Ye-Jun, Myung Nabi, and Sun Geumseong.

His other friends .....

What are they doing here?!

He could feel his face pale at the implications of his friends being here with him. But he has no time to question why as their time is running out.

" Grab the weapons you would feel comfortable with or have some idea of what to do with them! "

Tae-Woo shouted at them while he picked up two swords with him. He have the other sword in a sheath and tied it up on his belt using a short rope. Quickly, Dal-Eun decided to pick up a shield and a sword. Myung Nabi then picked up a bow and arrows which suited her since she was part of the archery club. Sun Geumseong on the other hand-picked up a shield and spear. And Nam Ye-Jun who was in the swimming club decided to pick up a fucking mace.

" Eun, come with us. "

Nodding his head, Dal-Eun decided to follow Tae-Woo and the others. Even he was horrified to see his friends here. He can feel his chest grow a little bit warm. Dal-Eun wasn't alone with strangers whom he was sure he can't trust. with his friends, he felt safer and more comfortable with them.

Then he started searching for drinks and food together with his friends.

" Pick up the leather pouches. Water is more important than food right now. "

" Got it, Eun. "

Tae-Woo smiled and muttered to him.

" You heard what Eun said. But don't forget to grab a few pieces of bread too. "

" Okay. "

" Got it. "

After picking up stuff, Myung Nabi has a guilty look on her face as she told them.

" We shouldn't go in the front. It would be too dangerous for us. Being at the back would also be advantageous for me to use my bow since it only works in the distance and look for ground with a high vantage point. "

The others revealed a sad smile as they heard her. Dal-Eul could understand her reasoning. It was advantageous to use a bow and arrow from the distance and have high ground. But it wasn't that at all. She was also scared of dying. And being on the front lines increased the chance of her death.

" Nabi, you don't need to lie to us. We know that you are scared. "

Geumseong said those words as gently as she could.

" Sorry. Seong.. "

Nabi muttered with an ashamed expression on her face. Ye-Jun then patted her shoulder and told her.

" It's alright Nabi. We are afraid too. We are also afraid of dying. "

Eventually, they decided to stay not too far to the back part of the starting point where most of the people decided to stay. With monsters coming to them and being trapped in an enclosed space, it wasn't really good for them.

" I think after a while if the number of monsters started to lessen we should take this opportunity and leave the starting point. "

Dal-Eun's friends stared at him for a while with a complicated expression before nodding. They know that fighting in an enclosed space with a horde of monsters coming at you was a bad idea.

[ The starting point will open momentarily. Five, four, three, two, one.]

As the countdown runs out, their group ignored the panicked denials of most of the people and shifted their bodies in preparation for a fight. Nabi has already arrows notched up to her bow and they only need to hit her target.

[The starting point will now open. I wish you all the best. ]

Dan-Eul and his friends then became horrified when it wasn't the gate of the starting point that started breaking but the whole room. The monsters have of them corners on all sides.

" Fall back to the middle! Nabi! "

Tae-Woo shouted in panic as he readied his sword gripping it with two hands as he immediately stood up in front of her. Together with Geumseong, Dal-Eul raises his shield.

Everywhere was chaos. It was screams of terror and panic. They can hear the sound of the monsters crunching and biting people. They have no time to digest what happened as monsters also start to come to their side.

Looking at the monsters hungrily rushing at them, Dal-Eul could feel himself shaking. He was scared.

Why?

Why?!

Nabi's arrows hit one of the monsters on its eyeballs. But it was still alive despite one of its eye sockets spurting blood so Dal-Eun stabbed it in its other eyeball and pull it out. Geumseong then stabbed another monster that approached them in the head. The other monsters were then stabbed in the head by Tae-Woo with a sword or Crush with a mace on their head with Ye-Jun.

They continued killing monsters after that. The bodies of those monsters that were piling up were then used as a makeshift bunker as they started to move toward the other people in the middle. And with them, they make a circle barricade defense formation. Using the bodies of those monsters again as a defense bunker. As time passed, Dal-Eul slowly got used to it and wasn't as nervous and scared as before, he realizes that the monsters with them resemble those goblins.

" Let's keep this up! "

Tae-Woo shouted.

" But it is also a good idea if we started moving soon. We can't keep this up. We need to find a safe place! "

As time slowly passed, suddenly one of the people with them slipped up with his hit with the sword. Instead of slashing his head, he only managed to hit slash its right hand away. The Goblin look-alike monster then gnawed on the man's stomach and he screamed in pain.

With the man's death, the momentary calmness and discipline of everyone stagnate and disappeared. One by one some people are starting to die. Their numbers are decreasing along with their chance of survival.

Dan-Eul was horrified and he started shaking despite already killing more than a dozen of these monsters.

He already experienced death...

What is there to be afraid of?

Why is he still a cowardly cat?

While Dan-Eul was slowly being overcome with fear, then the worse thing happened.

" Get away from me, monster! "

" Nabi! "

Suddenly, Dan-Eul heard Tae-Woo panicked shout as one of the people that fought with them decided to push her toward the monsters. Then one of those monsters chewed her head off. Tae-Woo glared at the person that pushed Nabi with tears in his eyes.

Nabi...

" You!!– "

But before Tae-Woo could redirect his anger toward that person, There was a sword stabbing Tae-Woo in his chest. Tae-Woo's anger turned into disbelief and hurt before the sword was pulled out at him and he was kicked in the direction of those monsters to be eaten by them.

Tae-Woo...

Dal-Eun felt his body like it was enveloped all over by ice.

It was another person who fought together with them and betrayed their group of friends.

Raising his sword, Dal-Eun prepared his strike.