Chapter 16

Chapter 16: Volunteers

The next day, the first five volunteers (5 test subjects) were at the front of the camp. They were looking at Dal-Eun with various mixes of emotions.

" Are you sure that you can protect us? "

" Yes. "

" You better do it. If I die, I would haunt you. "

The young man who questioned him was dressed in a college university uniform asked Dal-Eun with apprehension and anxiety. On the collar of his uniform was his ID which indicates that he was a performing art student. Bi Sangwook is his name. His face didn't look good. Not that Dal-Eun was implying that the young man was ugly but his face doesn't look good in a tired way. There were bags in his eyes and looks like he haven't gotten enough sleep.

" Hello, I'm Han Mi-Ok. We would be in your care, Dal-Eun. "

Han Mi-Ok was a woman in the early '30s. She gave Dal-Eun a wan smile as she idly trails one of her fingers in her right hand looking while gazing in a distance.

" Hello, Oppa! My name is Mun Yon! "

" .. Hi, Mun Yon. "

Oh my God, is Dal-Eun doing this? Why did Lee Jihye permit an 8-year-old girl to go with this? Also, fuck this world and the beings responsible for summoning an 8-year-old kid.

On the fourth and fifth participants, Dal-Eun looks at them in interest. The two of them almost look alike. One of them was wearing a male high school uniform while the other one was wearing a female high school uniform. Dal-Eun could feel a headache. The two of them look so pretty. Even the one wearing the high school uniform for boys.

" Cha Do Yeon. "

" Cha Na Yeon. "

Oh, Dal-Eun could tell the difference now. After observing them, Dal-Eun clapped his hands together and asked.

" Before we would go and kill monsters, does anyone have questions? "

" Yup! Me Oppa! "

Mun Yon raises her hands enthusiastically and waves them.

" Yes, Mun Yon? "

" Can I not become a mage? "

Dal-Eun was now wondering why Lee Jihye let the child come here with him.

" Why you don't want to become a mage? "

" I want to become a prince! "

There was an amused expression on Dal-Eun's face when he heard Mu Yon. But it soon disappeared when heard her next words.

" so I can wake up mother and the Ahjussi that helped me escape from bad and ugly thingies!

Bi Sangwook look at the sky and glared before sending a middle finger. The twins have also followed his example.

Dal-Eun finally replied to Mun Yon's question.

" That depends on your luck. "

Truthfully, Dal-Eun could just tell a little white lie. To don't hurt the kid's feelings. But that was also a lie. If the kid learns the truth later, it would hurt badly. The second option was to tell the cold hard truth. No facets, just the raw and realistic dark truth that would devastate the kid.

How would you tell a kid that even if she became a prince and kiss her mother and the Ahjussi that saved her from the monsters, they wouldn't wake up?

It was hard to choose between easy and difficult choices. For now, avoidance is the answer.

Just like what most of the people in the camp have done right?

Just like what you are doing...

Mun Yon pouted when she heard the answer.

" Do you have any other questions? "

Dal-Eun then look at the others and they shook their heads. The first 5 volunteers have a food supply brought with them. An incentive from Lee Jihye so that the volunteers would be motivated to go out other than learning magic or gaining classes with guaranteed safety. They also brought some weapons with them. Even Mun Yon has a dagger attached to the belt on her waist.

" Then. Let's go now. "

The guards then greeted them when they were preparing to leave.

" Good luck Dal-Eun! "

" Take care, everyone. "

Dal-Eun inclined his head at the guards. Mun Yon waved at them with a cheerful smile on her face. She walks with a bounce on her little steps.

Leaving the camp, Dal-Eun felt nervous for the first time. He was scared as he glance at the 5 people who would be helping in gaining their classes and to make sure that they were safe. He would be responsible for their lives. It was the truth and thought that scared him.

" Something wrong, Oppa? "

Mun Yon tilted her head blinking innocently at him. Her light pink eyes stared at him with a confused expression.

" Nothing. "

He would do his best to protect this little kid.

But before they could fully leave the camp, he heard familiar voices.

Dal-Eun turned his head and internally paled at the sight of Kim Hyungsung, Jung Hayan, and Lee Kiyoung. He has stopped in his tracks.

' No.. '

Noticing him staring there was a bright smile on Lee Kiyoung's face. Too cheerful for Dal-Eun's liking.

" Good morning Dal-Eun-ssi ~ "

Walking and getting closer, Lee Kiyoung approached him and grabbed both of his hands as if they were the closest friends. Dal-Eun flinched because he was surprised for Lee Kiyoung to suddenly approach him and grab his hand.

" It is nice to see you again. "

' It wasn't nice seeing you. '

Noticing him flinching, Kiyoung let go of his hand and there was an apologetic expression on his face.

" I apologize if I made you uncomfortable. "

Dal-Eun glared behind his mask. He wouldn't say that it's fine. Because it wasn't fine at all. Keeping down on being not okay near the presence of Lee Kiyoung, he asked.

" Is there something you need Lee Kiyoung-ssi? "

Both Jung Hayan and Kim Hyungsung have now also approached him. The latter then spoke on behalf of Lee Kiyoung.

" Hal-Eun. "

" Hyung? "

" We would accompany you to help the survivors. "

Behind his mask, Dal-Eun could feel his eye twitch.

' Here we go... '

Sighing inside his mind and feel reluctant. He can already feel the looming dark future ahead of him.

" Let's go. "