Chapter 12: Feeling Alone

Aaron's POV:
     It was half way through break and I had driven up everyday to see Payton. I had been in there for her lawyer meetings this week too. She had court in two weeks and they were doing everything they could to help. They had been digging into Savannah's past trying to explain why she would make this all up and get her friends to beat her up.

     They hadn't really got anything bad through. She just seemed to have a rough life. They found records of her Mom getting DUI's and that's about it. Savannah seemed to be a straight A student that did extracurricular activities and started working as soon as she could. The only angle the lawyers seemed to think they could play was that she wanted to be with us because of the money. Which Payton said was true.

     Payton had told me that as soon as Savannah came to the school she tried to be friends with her. That since Ann and Max knew who she was that Payton wanted to be her friend too. However she said Savannah was always mean to her and even pushed her down on the play ground once making Payton scrap her knee. Payton says that was the day that Savannah told her she was going to steal Ash and I from her. I just can't believe my brother fell for it. One of these days he will see it.

     "This can't be happening!!" Payton groaned pulling me out of my thoughts.

     "I am sorry but it's going to be hard with them coming up as witnesses. Let us get you a plea deal you will get less time. You could be facing up to twenty years." The lawyer pleaded with Payton.

     "I can't believe those bitches are doing that to me." Payton said thought grunted teeth.

     "Who's doing what?" I asked.

     "The two girls that they say helped Payton. They are taking a plea deal, part of that deal is to testify against Payton." The lawyer said.

     I looked at her puzzled. "Can they do that if it's a lie?"

     The lawyer gave me a pitiful look as if I was stupid. "Yes they can take that deal and they have. Having them go on the stand is going to sink Payton into the ground."

     "THIS IS BULLSHIT! I am done for today when you come back here I hope you have a solution!" Payton stood up and without saying bye to me walked to the door and knock signaling for a guard to open it and take her away. 

     I left the jail and headed to a restaurant sitting by myself to eat. I felt alone most days, alone and mad. I was mad at my parents, Ash, our friends, Savannah , and at the world.

     Every day was like I was trying to fit a puzzle piece into a puzzle that didn't even go there. I had lost a lot of time and everyone was telling me different stories. So much that it hurt my head sometimes.

The week seemed to drag on with Payton refusing to see me til Saturday. I walked in and sat down as they brought the girls into visit who they were visiting.

     Payton sat down in front of me. "Hey Aaron." She said causing me to sigh.

     "Hey Pumpkin. What's been going on why haven't you wanted to see me?"

     She shrugged her shoulders. "I have been upset about what happened with the lawyer and how you didn't stand up for me."

     "Stand up for you? Pumpkin she wasn't being mean she was just telling us our options."

     "She was basically saying I did it. You know maybe if you spent more money on a better attorney then we would win. But since you don't love me and just want to be a cheap ass." She glared and got up storming off to talk to a guard. He nodded and opened the door for them to leave. As I watched the door close I noticed the guard grab Payton's ass.

     Now it all makes since she is so upset that a guard is miss treating her that she is lashing out. So I did what I thought was right and I went and demanded he lose his job.