Chapter 21: Memories

Aaron's POV
     I spent all of Saturday night on the phone with the jail. I was determined to get that guard fired. Turns out I had to wait til Monday to go talk to someone. Which only made me madder.

     When Monday came around I decided to skip school today and wake up early to get to the jail as soon as I could. I wasted no time once with the warden telling him what I saw. Now the actions are in motion. They have been checking the cameras all morning and I finally got word that they found what they needed. I sadly can't see my pumpkin today though so I guess I will skip another day of school.

The next couple of days were hard for some reason Payton refused to see me. I had been going everyday and I don't know why I figured it would be different today since it is Thursday and we hadn't seen each other since Saturday.

      I walk into the jail going through the metal detector. I get my visitors badge and make my way to the visitation room.

     Sitting at the table I wonder if I will actually get to see her today. I don't understand why she has been so upset. After a few minutes inmates start to walk into the room and to my surprise I see Payton.

     "Hey there Pumpkin I have mi........."

     "How could you!" She whispers in a hushed tone.

     "How could I what?"

     "Get Donate fired!"

     "I watched him touch you. He needed to go. I was not about to let a man touch what was mine. You're in a vulnerable position and he was taking advantage of you."

     "He wasn't taken advantage of me, I was him. He was bring in drugs so I could sell them to these dope heads. All I had to do was fuck him for it." She seethe in anger.

     I sit there shocked for a good minute and just stare at her. Was she being serious? As I sit there in a daze her face starts to change from angry to panic.

     "I didn't mean that. I meant..." she pauses as if trying to come up with something. "Thank you for getting him out Daddy he was hurting me and for nothing. He..... he..... took advantage of me." She looks as if she is about to cry. To be honest if she hadn't just said what she said before I might believe her. However now I am questioning everything. I quickly pull my hands away from her, getting up and leaving the visitation with her yelling for me to come back.

     I quickly jump into my car and as I am about to back out I look behind me and see Savannah.

     "Papa can I have two scoops?" She was in faded jeans and a blue shirt with sunflowers all over it. Her smile made my heart want to melt.

     "No Savannah we already talked about this, only one scoop." Asher said from beside me. "Don't go and ask Papa for something I already told you no to. That is grounds for no ice cream at all."

     "I am sorry Daddy." She whined looking down at her feet.

     I smiled and pulled out of the parking spot.

I shook my head as the memory went away. It was like it was playing out all over again. Was everything Payton said a lie? Were my brother and parents telling the truth?

      I hit the gas and sped home. Once I pulled in the driveway I got out of the car and rush to the door when another memory hits me.

"Next year we will empty the pumpkin for you okay baby girl?" Ash said as the three of us walked out of the house. Savannah was carrying her little pumpkin that she painted and I had a hold of the one she carved.

     "Promise Daddy?" She looked up at him with a sad face.

     "Promise." He smiled bending down and kissing her head.

     "Where do you want to put your pumpkins Princess?" I asked looking at the others that were lines up by the front door. All the other littles had put theirs out while Savannah was asleep.

     I want to put mine next to Hueys." She giggled and sat down her painted pumpkin then grabbed her carved one from me. She then sat it down next to the other. "It suck's that I can't get the guts out next time. It was gross but fun."

     "I know baby I am sorry." Ash said picking her up and kissing her.

I came back to earth trying to remember why she couldn't clean out the pumpkin when the picture of her arms broken out flood my head. The feeling of fear and anxiety matched it. That's right she's allergic, but didn't know that.

     I look around as if the pumpkins would magically appear as tears start to form in my eyes. I walk up the porch and as I open the door they start to fall. Hearing my Mom's voice as she talks to Dad I make my way to the kitchen.

     "Aaron honey are you okay?" Mom ask after looking up and seeing my face.

     "Mom will you show me the pictures that you have been trying to show me since the wreck?" I start to sob as I think how bad I have messed up.

     Mom gave me a knowing look and nods. "Of course honey let's go look at them." She says knowing that I finally remember.

A/N
Hey everyone, I am so sorry for the long wait but I have been struggling. I have been stuck with writers block. When I pick up my phone I am struggling to write. I figured after my plate got less full that I would write more. But sadly I seem to be having a hard time. I graduated with a masters, got married and went to a couple different places this summer. So I guess I just need a brain break. I promise this story is far from over and I will try my best to give you all more in a timely manner. Thank you so much for the support and love. I love the Savannah, the twins and the entire crew so much and can't wait to share their story. I hope y'all have a great rest of your week.

Love Savage! 💙💙