20 | Pinky Promise

Sienna's POV:

I drink from the bottle. Welcoming the burning sensation in my throat. Before I choke I remove the bottle from my lips.

We are currently making our way back but we chose the route through the town to grab something to drink and snack on.

I pass the bottle to David. I feel his intense gaze burning a hole in the side of my face.

"What?" I lift a skeptical brow.

He thinks over what he wants to say.

"I'm not going to lie to you I had troubles too that caused me to find escape in simple things like smoking and drinking." He begins. "Waterfalls of booze flowed down my throat every day. The "party" went on even though it was long past morning. And every morning, I started that same routine all over again. Drowning my emotions through drinking so I wouldn't feel anything."

Thanks, father?

I look at him. "You are literally drinking right now?"

"Yes but not because I want to escape or feel numb."

No need to call me out like that. "Where are you exactly going with this?" I say a bit annoyed.

"The face gets lost, you don't even know how. And one day you stand in front of the mirror and you see only a shadow. Nobody's perfect, even if today you think you're the one who's entitled to the crown." He lets out. "What I want to say is that I've been there and it wasn't a pleasant time and place. You will only lose yourself in the process."

"How did you come out of it?"

"I've let others in and let them help me. And there was this one person... She once told me "why do you always try to hide the fact that you're human from others?". And that stuck with me. The next thing I did was remove myself from people and places I knew were causing all the bad thoughts and decisions I did." He takes a deep breath. I see Veronika hold his hand, giving him a reassuring squeeze.

"Even if they were someone really close to you? Even if you suffer with them yet you still like them in a way?" I hesitantly ask.

His corners lift to create a little sad smile. "Yes."

I look down, my eyebrows frowning while I think.

"It will be hard but being with them will worsen the situation. Some parents shouldn't have children." He mutters the last part but loud enough for me to hear.

My eyes widen and my head shoots up in shock. How did he--? I look at him and see he is already looking at me with an expression I know all too well.

Realization dawns on me. He went through the same.

"I'm sorry." I breathe out.

He shakes his head. "It creates a strong character." He jokes.

I smile softly.

☆ ☆ ☆

The whole weekend all we three did was lay in bed, sleep, eat, talk about random shit, watch David being kicked out every night to go to his room, and repeat.

And somehow I feel more exhausted than ever before.

I stare at the ceiling just like Veronika and Dave.

There's a knock on the door. "Come in if you have a small dick!" Veronika calls out.

Our teacher who at the moment has supervision in the halls comes in. She gives Veronika a warning and a disappointed glare before spinning to me. "There's someone who came to see you."