22-Its So Close.

"I'll be fine from here. Thanks for the company." Kazuma said.

The night before, when Amira returned with Kyo, Tohru helped patch up the wound on her arm, and Kazuma took Kyo upstairs.

Amira and Tohru had accompanied Kazuma on his way home, and they had reached a bridge.

"Um...do you think you should say something to Kyo before you go?" Tohru asked.

"What would I say?" Kazuma asked, and Amira looked up.

"You know, when I first took him in, it was a form of atonement for me. Like Kyo, my grandfather was possessed by the cat. He was cast out by his immediate family. Spoken of cruelly by his relatives. Treated horribly by everyone. Myself included." He said.

"I'm ashamed to admit it...but I only met my grandfather once."

"No way! I'll be cursed!"

"...I understand."

"Such brutal, thoughtless words. And yet, instead of rebuking me, he offered me his forgiveness. Years went by. I grew up. And when I saw the way Kyo was treated, the world he lived in, I realized for the first time how foolish we'd all been...how needlessly cruel. Taking him in may have been a self serving decision initially, a way to relieve the pain of my guilty conscience. Yet before I knew it... I loved him. Like he was my son. Like I was his real father. When I took his beads, I ignored his wishes, and forced my idea of our relationship on him.

Amira looked down and frowned.

"That why I don't know what to say to him now. "Good for you." Im proud." What right do I have to say that after selfishly putting my feelings before his. It would be arrogant and unfair. Besides..."

He looked at Amira with a smile.

"All I did was create the opportunity, you were the one who saved Kyo. You were there when it matter most...thank you."

Amira looked down. "Sensei, I don't think I'd say what you did was selfish. I know you think it was, but the thing is...the way you talk about Kyo, the way you always used to act with him back at the estate...it makes me feel warm inside. Relationship are hard sometimes. They can be confusing and complicated. I won't pretend I fully understand you and Kyo's relationship, but...I've always seen you as Kyo's father, and for what it's worth...you sound very much like his father right now.'

Kazuma looked at her shocked. But then, they heard shouting from a distance.

"Master!"

As they turned around, Kyo was there, standing in the middle of the bamboo trees.

"Oh, hey Kyo!" Tohru said, but Kyo jumped past them and straight for Kazuma.

"You left!" He shouted, lunging towards Kazuma in a flurry of kicks and punches, and Kazuma effortlessly dodged them. "You left without telling me! Why would you do that, it's like you're running away!

With a single smack, Kazuma pushed Kyo and he flew back. But at Kyo's sudden silence, Kazuma looked at him with wide eyes.

"Kyo!" Amira said.

"Tell me...did you think I was pissed at you? Or maybe...you're just sick of me. I've caused you nothing but trouble. I know that. I was being childish, wanting to run back to the dojo and hide from the world. I'm sorry. I've messed up so many times, and I know I've got a long way to go, but someday...someday I'll be stronger. Strong enough to stand on my own. I promise! I'll stop doing stupid stuff. I won't hurt you or be a burden to you anymore. And when that happens...I'll be worthy of calling you my father!"