40-I Shouldve Known.

"Kyo, would you like to play?"

That day, Amira and Kyo were at Kazuma's house as they usually were. She had just been dropped of by Hatori. However, as she arrived at the front door, Kyo was tracing shapes in the dirt. Noticing her, he smiled. But then the smile dropped a bit.

"...Hey Amira?"

She titled her head.

"Yes? What is it?"

"...Would you still be friends with me...even if I were a monster?"

Amira blinked at the question. It came out of nowhere. And yet...she could tell he was being serious. But despite that...

"Of course. 'd be friends with you even if you were a worm."

Amira beamed and grabbed his hand.

"Now cmon. Let's go play!"

I didn't understand back then. I brushed off your question like it was nothing. If only I had known what you had meant that day. And every time after that. Even then. I should've know. I should've known.

"When did it start raining all of a sudden? Good thing I have my umbrella."

That day, Amira was in a particularly good mood. Her aunt had come to visit her that weekend, and had left while Amira was sleeping to head to the train station. Amira was making her way to Kazuma's to go see Kyo. But it seemed she didn't have to walk far, as when she opened her umbrella, she saw him cross her vision. And her face lit up immediately.

"Kyo!"

As he turned to face her, Amira ran up to him.

"Hey Kyo." Amira said. "Where are you headed? I was just about to..."

As he looked at me, something changed in his expression. It was a mix of all sorts of emotions, but he looked...horrified.

"Kyo...are you okay? Is something wrong?"

Amira stepped towards Kyo and put a hand on his shoulder.

"Is everything alright, you..."

He shrugged her hand off.

"Don't touch me."

Amira backed up.

"Kyo..."

Turning, Kyo looked down, facing Amira fully. His eyes were hidden, but Amira couldn't sense something was off.

"Why do you even hang around me anyway? For all these years. Unwavering. Do you...pity me too? Or...is there something wrong with you?"

Amira looked at him in shock.

"I don't understand...what you mean. Where is this coming from all of a sudden? Why wouldn't I hang around you? We're friends...aren't we?"

As he looked at me, his eyes were full of something I had never seen from him before. Contempt. His eyes were cold, and lifeless.

"Stay away from me from now on."

As he turned, Amira gently grabbed his arm.

"Kyo, what's gotten into you? I don't understand..."

Kyo paused. Then he pulled his arm back, and glared at her.

"I just...don't want to see you anymore."

Amira's face fell. And then, she went silent, withdrawing her hand. And Kyo ran off.

Maybe in the beginning, my motives behind being your friend was guilt, but I know...I know in my heart that part of it was real. Your were my best friend. And...part of me will always see you as that."