Chapter 37: A Shadow on Sunflower City

Lang Fu accommodated Fang Yu and Felix in the living room of the mansion as he order the other servants to take the luggage to the rooms were the two would be staying tonight. But never mind that, Fang Yu was more worried about what his little brother had done during his absence.

"Explain, what do you mean the emperor has been locked down by the second prince?" Just as the word we're coming out of his mouth was very funny. The little brother that he remembered was sucky and timid as a mouse. We would stay in his chambers reading a book or practicing poetry. The mere thinking of that boy locking the royal emperor was complete nonsense.

"Yes, your highnesses." The butler looked sideways at Felix for a minute, but considering his current status he didn't mind saying this classified information in front of him. "The situation is like this. A week ago we received an announcement from my son that is working as the assistant of the prime minister in the royal castle. It was settled that since the crown prince was currently missing the second prince would marry the red princess."

"What!? Is father insane!?" Fang Yu exclaimed. His tiny brother wouldn't last even a day with that crazy girl. Besides he wouldn't believe that the Heart Kingdom would agree to that.

"Maybe you're unaware since it's been a long time since you've been on the Spear Empire but right now the popularity of the second prince is very high. Not only that, his temperament has also greatly changed. He is more mature and has great knowledge. With the help of the royal mage he even stopped an epidemic from spreading around Imperial City."

Fang Yu and Felix looked at each other. Both of them were confused. During their trip on the carriage Fang Yu had talked about his family to Felix, and based on what he had been told the second prince's personality didn't match his current fame. Felix closed his eyes and tried to communicate with Qiu without success. It had been some time since Qiu left saying that something important had shown up. He said it wasn't something to worry about, but he still felt a little unsettled in his heart.

"The royal mage? I had never liked that guy." Fang Yu mumbled.

"Huh why is that?" Felix asked. He has asked Qiu before if there was magic in this world. He said that it was but it was very difficult to use. The ability to use magic was something that someone was born with. So the profession of a mage was very rare.

"He is a freak. He walks around the palace with his weirdest hats all time. He always seemed to be in a good strange funny mood and that orange hair of his is very unsettling."

"..."

"Never mind that" Fang Yu spoke again. "How is it possible that he trapped Father?" That was the more important thing. It could be treason if he had done something extreme.

"Well...the second prince and the royal mage used frontier magic on his majesty's bed chambers." Lang Fu explained.

"Ah."

"What's frontier magic?" Felix asked. It was kind of exciting to speak about magic and spells, so this eyes looked bright and full of curiosity.

Fang Yu gave him a soft look and patiently explained. "Frontier magic is a spell to cast a barrier around that can be passed without the consent of the caster or someone with the caster token. It normally only used to set the boundaries between nations or territories. For example, technically speaking Sunflower City is still part of the Diamond Kingdom so he enters without problems since we enter from their gate. But if we want to cross over to the Empire territory we must pass the west gate and there nobody without the guards permission can cross over."

"So you're saying that your brother used that same magic and set the royal chambers as a territory and lock up your Father and now he can't go out without his permission?"

"Yes, that's basically that's it."

"Wow! It would be nice to have one of those to keep Fey out of the kitchen." Felix joked.

"Hahahaha! You are right!" Fang Yu couldn't help laughing out loud. The mere thinking of the toddy rabbit out of the kitchen by the barrier was very funny. With a lighter mood he went back to topic. "So how are thing now? Wouldn't the prime minister and my old man's assistant have tried to stop my brother?"

"The emperor is currently locked down so the power has been temporarily taken by the second prince. He counts with the support of the Empress Dowager, the royal mage, the minister of war and he also has the common population on his side. As for how the situation is right now neither the royal assistant or the prime minister can't do anything for the time being."

Fang Yu closed his eyes and crossed his arms to think about the current state of affairs. Neither the butler or Felix disturb him.

"Well, we currently can't do anything from here, I would send a letter back to the royal capital and we'll leave tomorrow morning." He looked back at Felix and said "for the time being why won't we go to do some tourism?"

Sunflower City was famous for their bright and colorful buildings and their special sunflower field outside the city walls. Fang Yu and Felix were currently on the market looking around the stalls. Some were selling pastries, toys and others were selling winter clothing. The view of that stall made Felix confused. It is currently the end of Spring and Summer will be coming in a few weeks. Why would they be selling winter clothes?

Seeing his confusion. Fang Yu explained. "The territory of the Spear Empire is colder than here. In the summer it is fine but during the other seasons it is always cold. So the merchants that need to travel between kingdoms usually buy some more warm clothes."

"Oh let's buy some then." After that they bought a set of winter clothing. Went to have dinner and was already at night time and time to go home.

"Wow I'm full." Felix said as he was rubbing his bulging belly.

"It was you who didn't stop eating." He said that although he didn't blame his wife for eating too much, the travel on the carriage wasn't exactly comfortable. Having a good dinner after a long journey wasn't that bad.

As they were walking a child that was running came out of alley and trip with a rock and fell on the floor.

"Hey are you alright!?" Felix let go of Fang Yu's hand and help the child to get up. "Are you alright?" Felix was helping the kid out when the latter took a small marble and threw it on the floor. Immediately a smoke screen appeared on the street.

"Felix!" Fang Yu screamed alarm. Having a bad feeling in his heart.

"Fang-" Felix words were cut off and were the smoke was gone, neither Felix nor the child was nowhere to be seen.