II - Side Story - Soul Prophet - II

It happened on a cold, dark night. Crouched on the smooth marble polished floors of the Palace gardens, heart racing. He was unsure, hesitant but a sense of determination overtook him like an undercurrent. What had happened 3 days ago had opened his eyes to something he had never expected. Hearing footsteps from behind, Hex had appeared to join Ver at his side.

"Something bothering you?" He spoke, handing the other a glass bottle with shimmering blue water. It shone with bioluminescence, turquoise in color. "Tell me what's wrong, I'm here now."

Ver accepted the drink and took a sip, surprised by how sweet and citrusy it was, instantly refreshing him. "I'm just spending some alone time, getting used to being here. Have you seen Aver anywhere?"

Hex shook his head. "Nope, not even a shadow. I guess they must have gone for a walk somewhere else. If you miss them, we can go search the palace."

"That's fine, doesn't matter. " Ver let out a tired sigh, gazing distantly at a blooming red spider lily. "Hey, didn't Aver tell us about flowers? I think that kind of looks like one, don't you think?"

Hex followed to where he had pointed out, at a bright red flower contrasting itself against a lush green bush. "Yeah, you might be right. What a strange little thing it is. "

"What does that a red spider lily mean again? I had forgotten what it meant now, silly me." He answered.

Ver continued to remain lost in thought, the drink in his hand forgotten. The air of Aurora, calm and cooling, strange yet welcoming inside his body. It all had happened so fast and Ver wondered if he will ever be prepared for what's to come next. Leaning back and lying down flat on the ground, he stared up to the clear midnight sky. In the distant horizon, planets and moons encircled each other, blocking the moon. Streaks of nebula clouds and trails of stardust left behind by fallen meteorites were scattered all over in dizzying colors. He could see large winged beasts soaring freely above, screeching and roaring their blood-chilling songs. Will they ever be safe again? Will they finally be prepared this time? What if their plans to remain hidden in Aurora backfires horribly? Staying here forever doesn't sound so bad at all, escaping all of their problems and starting a new life from scratch. With no memories of the outside world and a deadly hunter on their tail, none of them has what it truly takes to start a war and even come back out alive. Aren't they just digging their own graves at this point?

"So, what now?" Ver asked.

"We find ways to become stronger again, to get reinforcements and even weapons. " Hex responded almost immediately. "I know what you're thinking, Ver, and I'm not liking the way it sounds. But then again, we can't exactly stay here in Aurora for too long without doing anything. We have to take down the Arena and destroy it for good."

"Yeah but the question is 'how'? I tried to talk to Suha about this too but with his memories gone, there's literally nothing we can do. If we go back now, " Ver sat up and faced Hex directly in the eyes, "we're just falling into another trap and this time, we are never getting out of it alive. We'll be gone for good." He took a long sip of the drink, groaning in satisfaction as the sweet taste cleared his mind again. What is this anyway? He twirled the bottle around curiously.

"I guess so but...." Hex trailed off. "If there is anything we can do to grow our advantages and assets, won't you take it? I'm sure we'll find a way, see if there are kind souls around here willing to volunteer in our......you know, suicide mission."

"Unless you plan on exposing our very identities to everyone in the process, then be my guest." Ver retorted. "That doesn't mean I'm gonna stop you, though, just a fair warning. We've been here for only 3 weeks, Hex, trusting the citizens here will take time."