II - Chapter 10 - To See You Again - II

"I have a job for you," Shoto declared, calmly as he strolled around a silent Hex, holding a glass vial filled with red murky liquid. "A simple task, really. With this right here, you know what to do. I expect you not to disappoint me, game master. We shall show the world how this game is played." 

That was what the Master had said as Hex marched through the hallways, unseen and silent. Despite his thrashing mind yelling at himself to stop and turn back, Hex's body did no such thing. Moving on its own, controlled by an invisible force, the Game Master weaved his way smoothly past corridors and up a long flight of staircase. Once Hex has arrived before a familiar looking door, he quietly slid it open and grinned at the slumped figure on the bed. The King slept calmly, breathing in peaceful rhymes. Footsteps as soft as snowflakes, concealing his presence, Hex prowled towards the sleeping royal. 

STOP THIS! HEX, DON'T DO IT! YOU'RE BEING MANIPULATED, PLEASE-!

Reaching into his secret compartment, it released a small plume of smoke. Taking out the vial, Hex uncorked the lid and raised it above the King's mouth, parted by just inches. 

DON'T, I'M BEGGING YOU, NONONO-!

A menacing sneer grew wider on Hex's lips, psychotic and rage-filled eyes, overwhelmed by emotions that did not belong to him. The red liquid slipped out and flowed through, as sickeningly sweet as honey to the taste. The King swallowed the drink with the innocence of angels and little lambs. But Hex himself, was a dolphin, deadly in disguise. Hex let out a hushed cackle, claws and blades bared in full display, as he prowled over the King's sleeping figure like a starving predator. 

I HATE YOU! I HATE YOU, YOU DESERVE TO DIE, YOU'RE A MONSTER- 

Tears slipped out of his eyes but Hex could not feel guilt, nothing at all. Through Hex's scarred vision, Shoto watched in absolute glee; twirling a glass of wine, his other hand toying with a necklace made of rope, a sparrow made of gold attached to it. To play a good game, one must be smart enough to control each and every piece. But this would be one crazy move, everyone knew that. You have to be careful before making every move, in planning schemes and approaching your prey with pinpoint accuracy. Every second counts when it comes to hunting, trapping and playing. But oh no, Shoto wasn't up for any of that at all. 

"I HATE YOU!" 

He just went straight for the King himself. 

That very same night, as the Palace slept, two bodies lay still as death came like a dream. One had perished from a sickness so swift, while the other felt guilty and hung himself on a tree. 

"Checkmate." 

-

"LET ME GO!" Ver screamed, powerful guards holding his arms with an iron grip. "IT WASN'T ME! I DIDN'T KILL THE KING!" He was hysterical but they paid him no attention. 

"LET HIM GO, VER WOULDN'T DO THIS!" Kotoka yelled, struggling just as hard, several men holding her and the others back strongly. "Listen to me, Ver wasn't even in the King's bedroom when the assassination happened, he was in his own room the entire time!" 

"SHUT UP, YOU UGLY FREAK!" One shouted angrily, pointing fingers at both Hex and Ver. "My men found the King murdered, his body turned twisted and horrible. If I do remember correctly, Ver happened to be the only person that utterly despises the His Majesty, especially after that one conversation you had with him not long ago. If that's not solid evidence enough for all of you morons to realize, I don't know what else is. BRING THEM TO THE GALLOWS!" 

"WAIT NO!" This time, it was Vox who spoke, desperate to save the situation. "What she said was the truth, you can't just jump to conclusions! I know you claimed that Hex was the one that murdered the King, but the dead corpse outside looked just like Hex too, doesn't it? Which also means, there are currently two of the exact same person. But in this case, the Hex you're holding captive here is not the culprit at all."