Chapter 1 - Regrets

In the heart of Delhi's vibrant Hauz Khas neighbourhood, a grand three-story residence loomed proudly. The nameplate at the entrance proudly displayed the name "Mathur's."

Within the walls of this imposing home lived Mr. Alok Mathur, a prosperous entrepreneur, along with his family. The Mathur clan comprised his wife, Rajini, their daughter Adya, and their young son, Akash. Adya, a talented software engineer who had recently moved from Pune, was currently seated at the dining table, her enchanting eyes staring at the wall while she munched her sandwich.

Meanwhile, Rajini bustled about the table, diligently serving breakfast, and urged Akash, a 16-year-old high school student engrossed in a mobile game, to put it away.

"Please, Akash, do put away that device; you're running late for school," she implored, her tone stern and motherly.

"Yes, Mum, just a moment," Akash responded, his gaze locked on his game.

"I'm utterly baffled by how to manage this young lad," Rajini remarked to Adya. "Perhaps you could advise him to focus on his studies?"

A mischievous grin crossed Akash's face. "Didi, you know I'm a budding game designer. Look at this."

"I have no interest in discussing games! Never bring it up again!" Adya's voice quivered with frustration, nearly reaching the point of a shout.

A startled silence fell over the room as Akash froze, staring at his sister in disbelief.

Concern etched Rajini's features as she addressed Adya, "Adya, are you alright?"

Composing, Adya stood and spoke, "Sorry, Akash. I'm sorry for raising my voice. I'm sorry, Mum, but I'm not feeling well. I need to return to my room," and with that, she left the room.

Rajini watched her daughter's retreating figure until she vanished from view. Later, she discovered Adya in her room, gazing up at the ceiling. She took a seat on the bed, gently stroking Adya's forehead to soothe her.

"Adya, you've been so quiet since your return. Is something troubling you?"

"I'm fine," Adya replied without opening her eyes.

"You haven't even left the house or met any of your friends yet. You can always confide in me; I'm your mother."

Suddenly, Adya turned and buried her face in Rajini's lap, hiding her tears.

"I'm just confused, Mum. I left my job in Pune because I didn't like the atmosphere there. I'm still figuring out what I want to do with my life."

"Is that all it is? Perhaps it was for the best that you left Pune. But now that you're back, I'm sure you'll find your way."

Adya quickly wiped away a tear before Rajini could see it. Telling her parents the real reason she came back would shock and hurt them.

"Mum, you're right. I should never have gone to Pune."

That evening, Alok Mathur returned home with a joyful countenance.

"Dear, you seem in good spirits," Rajini noted as she handed him a cup of tea.

"I have some wonderful news. Mr. Bhatnagar asked me something today, given Shashank's impending return from the United States."

"What is it?" Rajini inquired eagerly.

"They want Shashank, their son, to marry Adya. I couldn't refuse because they've been our friends for so long."

Rajini's face lit up. "That's wonderful news, but we must get Adya's consent first, even though I doubt she'll say no. We should talk to her."

"Of course! Our daughter always brings happiness to our lives. I can't wait to see her all dressed up for her wedding," Alok's face beamed.

Unbeknownst to them, Adya had overheard their conversation. She gripped the stairwell's handrails tightly, torn between her desire to avoid a relationship after her Pune experience and the happiness she saw in her parents' eyes. As she heard her mother approaching, Adya hurried back to her room and grabbed a book to feign busyness. Rajini entered her room, bearing a tray with a teacup.

Adya jumped up and took the tray from Rajini. "Why did you bring tea? You could have called me."

Rajini smiled and said, "It's alright. I wanted to talk to you, anyway."

"Adya, do you like Shashank?" she asked as they sat on the bed together.

"We're good friends, Mum. Yes, I like him," Adya replied, prepared for what was coming.

"Mr. Bhatnagar has proposed a marriage between Shashank and you. Your father and I are thrilled about it. They're wonderful people, and you've known each other for most of your lives. What do you think?"

Adya turned to her mother, sensing the anticipation. Her decision weighed heavily on her as she felt the pressure to not only avoid disappointing her mother, but also their lifelong friends.

"What does Shashank think about this?" Adya inquired.

"They wouldn't have approached us if he hadn't agreed. Do you have feelings for him?" Rajini's eyes sparkled with hope.

Adya pondered her response. "I will marry whoever you want," she replied.

"Oh, Adya, you've made me so happy. You're the best daughter. Try not to cry now; we still have some time together before you leave." Rajini laughed as she embraced Adya.

Both mother and daughter shed tears, but for entirely different reasons. Adya's regretful sobs stemmed from her hidden past, and she wished she could undo her mistakes. Her mother's embrace offered a glimmer of hope that she could set things right.

In the ensuing weeks, everything progressed rapidly. A wedding date was set, and after the ceremony, Adya was to depart for the United States with Shashank. As the significant day drew closer, Adya grew more anxious. She yearned to be honest with Shashank about her past, but the wedding festivities left no opportunity for a heart-to-heart conversation. She contemplated keeping her secrets hidden, but the weight of her shame was too burdensome to bear. She refused to start a new life based on lies.

With trembling hands, Adya reached for her phone, determined to reveal the truth to Shashank.