The drive

Aadya sat nervously, her fingers tapping on the armrest of the chair. This was her first visit to a police station, and she felt out of her element.

Besides her, Ishaan gently squeezed her hand, offering a reassuring gesture. His presence provided some comfort in the unfamiliar surroundings.

Finally, a friendly-looking inspector approached them and inquired, "So, how can I help you?"

Aadya hesitated briefly before responding, "I've been receiving strange calls. The caller appears to be stalking me."

The inspector nodded, his tone calm and professional. "Could you please provide me with your phone number and the numbers from which you received these calls? Do you suspect anyone?"

Aadya replied, her voice uneasy, "I can't think of anyone specific."

The inspector continued, "Has anyone ever caused trouble for you in the past? Like a former boyfriend, an ex, or someone with whom you had disagreements?"

Aadya glanced at Ishaan, her ex-boyfriend, who sat beside her. She was certain Shashank wasn't responsible for these calls; he lived abroad and wouldn't know her daily routine. She wasn't in contact with anyone else from Pune, either.

"I can't think of anyone in particular," she answered.

The inspector probed further: "Have you had any previous encounters with the law?"

Aadya recollected, "There was a guy in our group who got arrested. He used to drug and exploit girls."

Ishaan interjected, offering information. "Yes, it happened around six years ago."

Aadya remembered Omar and felt perturbed. She couldn't believe he might be involved in something like this after all these years.

The inspector turned his attention to Ishaan. "And you are?"

Aadya quickly clarified, "He's a friend, an old friend."

Ishaan couldn't help but smirk at her response.

The inspector acknowledged, "Alright, tell me more about this individual. Given his prior criminal record, he's our top suspect."

After gathering some basic information, the inspector assured them they would investigate the matter and get in touch.

As they left the police station, Ishaan expressed his concern, saying, "Aadya, you shouldn't be travelling alone."

Aadya countered, "You can't keep chauffeuring me everywhere, Ishaan."

He teased, "I won't, but the company car will."

Aadya protested, "That would be unnecessary and inappropriate."

"Why is that?" Ishaan inquired.

Aadya reasoned, "We're already a topic of gossip at the office. If you provide me with a car and a chauffeur, it will only fuel more speculation."

Ishaan persisted, "But, Aadya..."

"No 'buts,' Ishaan. You can't be with me all the time."

"But I want to be, Aadya. I want to be with you all the time," he confessed softly, almost inaudibly.

His words stirred something within her, but they both understood the need for boundaries. They had reached an unspoken understanding: he wouldn't disturb her at work, and their interactions would primarily be during dinners or sightseeing around Bangalore.

During one of their dinner conversations, Ishaan asked about her weekend plans. "What do you do on weekends, Aadya?"

Aadya considered, "Nothing in particular. Why do you ask?"