Chapter 3 - Meeting a Mysterious stranger

Two years ago

Adya - 

With a pencil skirt and a sultry halter top, I thought I looked stunning when I looked in the mirror.

"How do I look?" I asked Shweta.

Shweta whistled, "Wow, Adya, if I were a man, I would have proposed to you right now."

"And, like any prudent young lady, I would have turned down the offer." I laughed.

My close friend Shweta was a resident of Mumbai. She let me stay with her while I completed my summer project there.

"Let's go to Phoenix," I suggested, referring to one of the posh new discos.

"How do you know about Phoenix?" Shweta asked.

"It's all over on Instagram. Every single friend of mine has posted about it," I replied while scrolling through the app.

I'm not much of a party animal, but I do like to unwind from time to time.

"It only opened six months ago and is already well known," Shweta responded.

"Let's go," I said.

Shweta said, "Let me contact the gang."

My gang comprised friends, acquaintances, and friends of friends who regularly hung out together. We were all young students or professionals looking for company because we were all away from home. As a result, we formed a WhatsApp group to plan outings, parties, and other activities. I didn't have many friends besides Shweta.

Within an hour, we were standing at "The Phoenix's" entrance. I ran into some of my "gang" at the door; some were already inside. Some of my friends would arrive with other friends, roommates, and so on. As a result, the total number of gang members varied.

"Hello, Adya!" My delight faded as I turned around to see Ankit.

Ankit was one of those guys who pursued every girl he knew, regardless of their rejection. He was clingy and couldn't stand it when he was rejected.

"How are things going, Ankit?" I faked a smile at him. He was holding two beer mugs, one of which he handed to me.

"I don't drink beer, Ankit, but you keep going." I smiled at him and blended in with the crowd.

I had a headache a few hours later. No, I wasn't drunk. I get a headache from listening to loud music all the time. I exited the nightclub. The night was cool, and I walked towards the parking lot. A loud hello startled me. When I turned around, Ankit was grinning at me with his trademark goofy grin.

"Hello, what are you doing here?" I asked, a little startled.

He responded, "What brings you here? You left so abruptly...is everything okay?"

"Yes, I'm fine. Please leave me alone for a while, if you don't mind." I made my request as politely as I could.

He ignored my request and said, "Adya, I've been meaning to talk to you for a long time. I would not get a chance. I like you a lot."

I rolled my eyes. " Here we go again".

"See, Ankit, I understand and respect your feelings, but I'm not interested in having a relationship," I explained.

He was suddenly on his knees, clutching my hands. "I know you're a good girl, Adya. You will not partake in any of this. I am also a good boy, and I adore you. You are my ideal woman.... Will you marry me?"

"WHAT!!!" I was on the verge of screaming.

"This is getting worse," I thought.

"Ankit, please get up and stop this nonsense," I said, fighting the urge to laugh.

He was, however, one of those clingy types who wouldn't budge. "Adya, please say yes. I can't imagine what my life would be like without you."

I was about to burst out laughing, but I kept my cool and said, "Ankit, please get up and stop all this nonsense." As he stated, "Adya, please say yes. I truly love you."

"Ankit, you're drunk; we'll talk tomorrow," I said as I yanked my hand away.

I moved away from him, but he followed me. I slowed down near a car and yelled at him.

"Ankit, stop following me. I said no. Just leave me alone."

The car door behind me opened, and a voice said, "The lady does not wish to be bothered; don't you get it?"

A tall man appeared beside me out of nowhere. I literally had to bend backwards to catch his face. All I could see was his chiselled jawline.

I thought to myself, "What a gorgeous profile."

He wore a white shirt, dark slacks, and sunglasses that obscured half of his face.
Who wears goggles at night, I wondered?

Ankit was visibly terrified. He stammered, "As you can see, it's not what you think. It's a personal matter between us." I could sense the tension in the air as Ankit and the man exchanged glances. The man's body language suggested that Ankit's explanation did not convince him.

I said, "Ankit, please leave. I don't want to talk."

"Did you not hear what she said?" As Ankit persisted, the stranger spoke authoritatively.

Ankit walked away with a scowl on his face.

"Thanks," I sighed, relieved.

I could feel him peering at me through his sunglasses.

"Parking lots are not very safe," he continued.

For an instant, I was speechless and at a loss for words. As I looked at him, I noticed he was tall, broad-shouldered, and appeared to have a chiselled face...... If only I could see into his eyes. To a woman, he personified every ideal of a prince charming.
He was hot in the sense that he could make any woman's heart race. Any hot-blooded girl, or even some men, would feel compelled to pin him to the wall, pull his shirt off, and... God! Why am I thinking about all of this? I wondered.

"I know. I just came out for some fresh air, and Ankit followed," I explained.

"Ah! squabble with your boyfriend?" He raised an eyebrow.

"Hell no! He's not my boyfriend. He is just an acquaintance. I barely know him."

"So? Is he bothering you?"

"Not really, he was just proposing marriage!" I chuckled.

The stranger laughed, showing a row of perfect white teeth. "Well, that's pretty harmless. Why did you break that poor guy's heart?"

"Perhaps I'm commitment phobic."

He laughed again. "I like you."

"And I like you," I thought.

"I should leave right now. Thank you for your help ,"I said.

He said, "If you don't mind, may I accompany you?"

I raised an eyebrow.

He went on, "To deter any other potential grooms. That idiot could still lurk around."

I shrugged and said, "Ok".

As we walked in silence from the parking lot, each moment was crackling with tension. I could feel his eyes constantly following me.

As soon as we were in the club, I turned around to face him and said, "Thanks."

"It was my pleasure." He simply smiled. Then he vanished into the crowd. I couldn't help but feel disappointed as I watched him disappear, wondering if I would ever see him again. But I knew one thing for sure - his smile would stay with me for a long time.