Explanations

The following day, Ishaan struggled to occupy himself in the office, his mind preoccupied with thoughts of how to face Aadya. The voices of people around him droned on during a conference, but he paid no attention. Instead, he was consumed with devising a plan to persuade her to meet with him again.

Upon returning to his office, he summoned the HR manager.

"Please arrange a meeting with Aadya Mathur. Do it promptly," he instructed.

The HR manager hesitated before speaking up. "Sir, please reconsider. Aadya is a valuable resource for the company."

Ishaan concealed a smile and clarified, "Did I mention anything about firing her? Send the meeting invite, but you won't be attending."

The HR manager appeared puzzled, but ultimately agreed. Ishaan grinned to himself, knowing that he was making progress. He waited in one of the conference rooms for Aadya's arrival. Her expression was blank, and she had endured a sleepless night, much like himself.

"Please take a seat, Aadya," he gestured, ensuring the office door was closed.

Before he could utter a word, she revealed, "I have resigned."

Ishaan was taken aback. "What?"

"I have resigned. I can't work here anymore," she stated emotionlessly.

"Why, Aadya?" he inquired.

Her voice remained monotone as she replied, "Sir, I have resigned for personal reasons."

He buried his face in his hands and gave her a withering look. "Aadya, you don't have to do this. I know I've been terrible. In fact, what I did yesterday was unforgivable, but at least allowed me to explain."

"Ishaan, I can't take it any longer. I'm exhausted. I'm tired of your persistence."

"All I'm asking for is forgiveness," he pleaded.

"Fine, I forgive you."

"What?"

"I forgive you. Now you can absolve yourself and continue living your perfect brief life. Let me live the way I have been," she replied.

"Is that all?"

"What more do you want?"

"Aadya... I..." He shook his head in frustration. "I'm sorry for what happened yesterday. I know I hurt you, and I owe you an explanation."

"I don't want an explanation, Ishaan. It's pointless now."

"Don't you want to know why I left all those years ago?"

"What's the point, Ishaan? You've moved on; you have a wife now. Revisiting the past will only disrupt the present. It's already done that. We should stay away from each other, Ishaan. Please don't try to contact me again."

He narrowed his eyes. "What did you just say? Wife?"

"Yes, Ishaan, your wife, Amisha. I know why you left five years ago. You got engaged to Amisha. Your family is famous; I saw the news. And now this... I don't want to feel like the other woman."

He winced at her words. His expression shifted from disbelief to confusion, then shock, and finally realisation. He ran a hand through his hair, his voice filled with remorse. "You thought I married Amisha?"

"Yes, didn't you? You talked to her yesterday."

"Oh, God, Aadya!" He stood up and paced restlessly.

"All this time, you thought I married Amisha?"