Leaving the past

Shashank was staring at Aadya, dumbfounded, as she narrated the series of events that had brought them to this moment. Her words hung heavy in the air, casting a shadow over their coffee date.

"I was living in a fool's paradise," Aadya began, her voice tinged with regret. "I was following my heart instead of my head. I was asking for it, Shashank. I got into this relationship of my volition. He never forced me. He led me on, and I followed him blindly. I didn't even realise what started as harmless flirting turned into an addiction. I gave my mind, body—everything. I didn't even realise when or how."

Shashank held her hands, his expression a mix of sympathy and concern. "Aadya, I am so sorry to know... Why didn't you confide in me earlier? I could have helped you."

Aadya looked down at her ice-cold coffee, her fingers tracing the rim of the cup. "It was of no use, Shashank. It's not too late. You can still opt out of this wedding. I will understand."

Shashank's response was resolute. "Why would I opt out? Your past doesn't matter, Aadya. Even I have a past. I was living with Stephanie, but things didn't work out. So there's no question of backing out. It's just that I am feeling bad; being your friend, I couldn't do anything to help you."

Aadya looked up at him, her eyes searching his face. "That's not my answer, Shashank. I am devoid of any feelings or emotions now. I can never love you. Will you be able to spend your whole life with someone who will never reciprocate your love? Someone who is marrying as a compromise?"

Shashank didn't hesitate. "Aadya, honestly speaking, I have loved no one after Stephanie. I'm not sure if I ever will. Despite whatever happened between us, I still have a soft spot for her. I agreed to this marriage because I thought if I couldn't get my love, at least I would still have my best friend."

Aadya took a deep breath, her gaze fixed on Shashank. "But, Shashank, is this correct? We are both marrying out of compulsion. Our hearts are not into it. Will you be happy with me?"

Shashank replied with unwavering determination, "I have stopped listening to my heart. Logically, we make a good pair. We are good friends. We are compatible. That is enough for me. And your past doesn't matter. We both have a past that we want to leave behind. So why not, with the support of your friend? Is that fine with you?"

Aadya's lips curled into a faint smile, a glimmer of hope in her eyes. "You will always have my friendship. As for love, I am not sure about it."

"I can live with that," Shashank replied, squeezing her hand reassuringly.

The next day, Aadya Mathur and Shashank Bhatnagar were married. They stood before their friends and family, exchanging vows that held the promise of friendship, companionship, and support. They were now husband and wife, embarking on a journey that might not be based on love but on a bond forged through understanding and shared experiences.