The past comes back

"Hey, what's up?" Aadya's voice resonated through the room as she gracefully settled onto the plush sofa, her eyes momentarily taking in the warm hues of the living space.

"I hope I didn't disturb you." Shashank's voice floated from the other side of the room, his tone carrying a hint of concern.

Aadya's gaze briefly flickered towards Ishaan, who sat on the edge of the bed, his nimble fingers meticulously fastening the buttons of his crisply ironed shirt.

"No, it's okay; we can talk," she replied.

"Well, there is some wonderful news, and I wanted you to be the first to know." Shashank's voice held a note of excitement.

"That's sweet. What is it?" Aadya leant forward slightly, her eyes fixed on Ishaan, eager for the revelation.

"Kajal's pregnant!" Shashank exclaimed, his face radiating joy as he delivered the news.

Aadya's reaction was immediate; it felt as if a sudden, unexpected wave of cold water had been thrown over her. Her emotions surged like a storm within, a mixture of happiness for Shashank and Kajal and a pang of nostalgia for what might have been.

"That's incredible news, Shashank! Congratulations! Please convey my heartfelt regards to Kajal as well." Aadya offered her sincere congratulations, albeit with a tinge of bittersweet emotion.

"I sure will. Frankly, I am thrilled!" Shashank's voice held an infectious enthusiasm.

As the call ended, Ishaan, who had been observing the exchange with a growing sense of unease, couldn't help but feel a surge of jealousy rising within him. He found it difficult to fully understand the complex emotion, which may have resulted from the knowledge that Shashank once occupied a position in Aadya's life that he had yearned to fill.

Aadya ended the call and stared at the now-black screen, lost in thought. Her reverie was abruptly disrupted when she sensed the cushion next to her compressing under someone's weight.

Without a word, Ishaan plopped down beside her, their proximity suddenly filled with unspoken tension.

"Sorry, I had to take his call." Aadya finally broke the silence, her voice carrying a hint of apology.

Ishaan didn't respond verbally; instead, he gently placed his hand on hers and squeezed it reassuringly. An awkward pause lingered in the air, thick with unvoiced emotions.

"You two still keep in touch?" Ishaan finally ventured, his voice laced with curiosity and a trace of insecurity.

Aadya nodded, her eyes meeting his as they both grappled with the unspoken complexities of their past and the uncertainties of their present.

"Why does he call you at such odd hours?"

"He is in a different time zone; it's daytime for him. His wife's pregnant, and he wanted to convey the news." Aadya replied.

"Hmm," he sighed.

He looped his one hand around her, pulling her into his embrace. She placed her hand on his chest, trying to push him away.

"Shall we continue where we left off?" He whispered in her ear.

He kissed her neck, attempting to rekindle the passion that was happening a few moments ago. Aadya nuzzled him away, her voice filled with hesitation. "Ishaan, stop. It is not a good idea," Aadya said, resisting his attempts to kiss her.

"Why?"

He caught her wrists, pinned them behind her, and continued kissing down her throat.

"Ishaan No! I can't..." She struggled against his grip.

He stopped nibbling her throat and looked at her face.

"Why Aadya? What changed? You were enjoying this until he called." He looked angry.

"I just don't want to do it. Isn't that enough?"

She felt the sofa touching her back. He was pinning her below him. Her hand was gripped by him on either side. Fear gripped her as she realised the intensity of the situation. She desperately pleaded, "Please, Ishaan, let me go."

"Is it because of Shashank? Do you still have feelings for him, Aadya? Is that stopping you from coming back to me?"

"What nonsense! If I had feelings for him, we wouldn't be divorced." Her expression changed from fear angering.

"And you regret it? He cheated on you and left you, isn't it? It wasn't your choice, Aadya!"

Anger coursed through her. She squirmed under him, trying to get free. Her robe parted, revealing her lacy bra. She saw the glint in his eyes. He dipped his head to nibble on her breast through the lace.

"Ishaan, what's wrong with you?" She shouted while pushing him away with all her might.

He pushed himself up to look down at her. His face was twisted with a mix of desire and frustration. "What's wrong with me? What's wrong with you, Aadya? Why can't you accept that we still love each other? Why can't you see that we're together?" he pleaded, his voice filled with desperation.

"Ishaan, it's not that simple," she replied, her voice wavering. "There are too many complications now."

He eventually got off her and ran his hand through his hair in frustration. He took a deep breath, trying to calm himself down. Aadya sat up and collected her robe around her.

"I need to know! I've done everything I could to get you back. Everything has been put on hold for you—my job, my life, my family, and everything else. I only think about what I can do next to get you back. I know I was wrong five years ago. Didn't you forgive me? Then why do you still find me repulsive? Why do you treat Shashank with such kindness while treating me like a monster?"

Aadya felt a lump form in her throat as she listened to his heartfelt plea. She could see the pain in his eyes and the desperation in his voice, but her own wounds ran deep.

"It's not like that, Ishaan. Shashank has nothing to do with this. I don't hate you. I never did." She whispered.

"Then make me understand, Aadya? This is killing me. What else should I do? Do you want me to beg you?" Ishaan pleaded, his voice cracking with emotion. "I just want to know why you push me away and treat me so differently. I can't bear the thought of losing you again."

"I just don't love you anymore, that's all. Just because we have reconnected, it does not mean we have to get back together. My feelings have changed, and I can't force myself to love you again. It's better for both of us to move on and find happiness separately." She tried to keep her tone as placid as possible.

"You are lying!" he exclaimed, his voice filled with desperation. "I can see it in your eyes and hear it in your voice. There's something else going on, something you're not telling me. Please, just be honest with me."

"I am leaving; this was a bad idea." She got up. As she turned to leave, he reached out and grabbed her arm, his grip tight with desperation. "Please, don't go," he pleaded, his voice trembling. "I can't bear the thought of losing you without knowing the truth."

"I don't want to hurt you, Ishaan." She almost pleaded. Her eyes were glistening with tears.

"You are already hurting me, Aadya. What can be worse than this?"

Aadya hesitated for a moment, her heart torn between the fear of causing more pain and the need to be honest. Finally, she took a deep breath and whispered, "Okay.".

She sat back on the couch again.

"Five years ago, when you left, I was pregnant with you, baby," she whispered.

Ishaan's eyes widened in shock as he processed her words.

"What!"

"I was pregnant with your baby when youbroke up with me, Ishaan." She repeated.