It's complicated

The pattering of rain against the windows was the only noise that filled the room. The grey clouds outside seemed to mirror the sombre atmosphere within.

"Why didn't you tell me?" Ishaan whispered; his voice was barely audible over the sound of the rain.

Aadya's voice trembled as she responded, "I didn't know. I wasn't feeling well after you left for Mumbai. I had lost my appetite; I used to be tired all the time. I didn't understand these things. I just assumed it was due to stress. Then you broke up with me, and after a few days, I saw your engagement pictures in the newspaper. That day, I found out that I was pregnant."

A wave of shock and regret washed over Ishaan as he listened to Aadya's heartbreaking revelation.

"You must have been so shocked and scared, Aadya. Why didn't you call me?" Ishaan asked, his voice filled with concern. "I wish I had known what you were going through. I would have married you."

She broke down, sobbing, unable to control her emotions anymore.

"There was no need for that, Ishaan; I found out about it after I suffered a miscarriage. My parents would have been so disappointed if they had found out. I was relieved to get rid of it. I couldn't keep it anyway, and I hate myself for feeling that way."

He glanced at her trembling body, her hands covering her face.

Everything came together like a puzzle. Her resistance, her rage—he could see it all now. His foolishness had left a permanent scar on her. He wanted to comfort her, but he was now terrified of even touching her.

"I was 8 weeks pregnant when I miscarried, according to the doctor. But I was unaware of it since I ignored the signs. When I realised it was too late,

She paused, catching her breath. She straightened up, wiping her face.

"Shanshank married me despite my past and tried to keep me happy. I was the damaged one. I couldn't love him back. You were always there between us like a ghost." Aadya continued.

He was staring at the wall, unsure how to respond. He was so unworthy of her.

"Aadya, everything is now clear to me. I ruined your life. I don't deserve forgiveness." His voice shook.

She turned her face towards him.

"Ishaan..."

"No, Aadya. I don't deserve another chance. You were right. This was a mistake. I understand now why you couldn't love me. I will always regret the pain I caused you." He looked down, unable to meet her eyes. "Still, you should have told me, Aadya. I deserved to know it."

"Would it change anything? "

"Perhaps." He whispered.

He got up from the sofa and paced in the room. She had never seen him this upset. He ran his hands through his hair, pain clear on his face.

"I just wish I could go back and do things differently," he said, his voice filled with regret. "But I can't change the past. I am sorry for everything, Aadya. I am sorry for dumping you and trying to force myself on you. I am truly a monster!"

He opened the terrace door and walked out into the rain, unsure where he was going.

"Ishaan, wait!" Aadya called out, her voice filled with desperation. But he didn't turn back, disappearing into the pouring rain and leaving her standing alone in the room.

The next morning, Ishaan awoke to a constant, throbbing headache that pounded with each heartbeat. Rain had soaked him to the bone during his aimless wander in the downpour before he finally retreated to the solace of his room. The memories of the previous night were hazy, and he couldn't pinpoint the exact moment he had succumbed to sleep.

His initial bleary thoughts revolved around Aadya. The previous night, he could not face her because of his emotions. Anxiety gnawed at him as he inched towards her room. The translucent glass door offered only a vague glimpse of her empty bed.

The absence of her presence sent shivers down his spine. Desperation gripped him, but then he noticed a blinking notification on his phone. Her message was stark and unsettling: "I am leaving."

Panicking, he dialled her number, but it went unanswered, leaving an empty echo in his ears. Questions raced through his mind as he wondered where she had gone. His phone buzzed insistently, just as the grip of uncertainty intensified. It was an unexpected call from a Bangalore inspector.

Anxious and trembling, he answered, "Hello, Inspector Menon."

"We have received some crucial information pertaining to the report Ms. Mathur filed last week," the inspector explained. "Unfortunately, we've been unable to reach her, so I thought to contact you."

His heart raced as he implored, "Please, tell me what you've found."

"We traced the phone calls. Some of them originated from her office, cleverly concealed behind VPNs. Omar, the person she had reported, was released from jail two years ago, and he's been untraceable since then. It's highly likely he assumed a new identity."

Ishaan's face was pale, and his gut was twisted with fear. Aadya had gone missing, and the terrible implications of her absence weighed hard on him.