Echoes of emptiness

As far as Aadya could tell, her life had returned to some level of normalcy. Thanks to Ishaan's work, the media could not see how turbulent recent events had been. Every morning, Aadya would paint on a façade of normalcy and venture to work, concealing the emptiness and loneliness that had taken root within her.

People around her saw she was calm, but behind the smile on her face was a pit of sadness. The days, which she used to enjoy because they were full of lively activity, now seemed to go on forever. With all the noise in the city, people on every street corner talked about how Ishaan's familiar face and smile might turn up.

Like always, she missed him very much. But now, something inside her has changed. Her heart hurt from a deep desire for him that had grown stronger since he had been gone. Every minute at the office felt like an eternity because it was full of thoughts of Ishaan. Even though he had only been gone for a week, Aadya was already thinking about it—he might have to change jobs. It was too much to bear to think about continuing to work in a place that still rang with the ghostly memories of the times they had spent together.

Dragging herself home, Aadya found her apartment unusually empty. Shweta was away visiting her mother, leaving Aadya to contend with her solitude. The silence hung heavy in the air, accentuating the void that had settled within her.

"Perhaps I should change the house as well," she mused, contemplating the idea of escaping the memories that lurked in every corner.

The doorbell's insistent chime abruptly interrupted her train of thought. Startled, Aadya opened the door to find a dignified, poised lady waiting on her doorstep.

"Yes?" Aadya inquired, her curiosity piqued.

"Are you Aadya Mathur?" the lady asked, her voice gentle.

She responded, "Yes, I'm Aadya," her confusion over the unexpected visitor was still present.

The lady smiled, and in that moment, recognition dawned upon Aadya. The smile, the eyes—it was unmistakable. She had seen them before, on Ishaan's face.

"I am Ira Shekhawat, Ishaan's mother. I wanted to meet you," the lady introduced herself.

Aadya stood there, dumbfounded, her heart a whirlwind of emotions as she faced the unexpected arrival of the woman who bore such a striking resemblance to the man she missed so desperately.

"May I come in?" Ira inquired, her voice carrying a calm grace that contrasted with the whirlwind of emotions within Aadya.

Aadya, who had been lost in her thoughts, snapped back to reality, her gaze fixed on Ira for what seemed like an eternity. The realisation that she had been staring without acknowledging her guest's presence rushed over her.

"Oh yes, please come in," Aadya stammered, her manners momentarily eluding her. "Please have a seat," she added as she gestured towards the couch.

"Umm, would you like to have tea, coffee, or perhaps something cold?" Aadya offered, attempting to extend the customary hospitality.

Ira smiled gently at the visibly nervous young woman before her, her eyes taking in Aadya's beauty. It was simple to see why Ishaan had been so fascinated by her.

As Ira settled into the couch, she replied, "Thank you for your kind offer, but I'm fine for now. You are beautiful." Aadya blushed at the compliment, grateful for Ira's warm demeanour.

"Sit," Ira instructed Aadya, and the young woman complied obediently. She clutched a pearl ring in her hand, the nervous gesture betraying her anxiety.

"You must be wondering about the purpose of my visit," Ira began, sensing the curiosity emanating from Aadya.

Aadya nodded, her eyes locked onto Ira's.

"Well, first, thank you for bringing my son back to us. He hasn't been home for years," Ira acknowledged, her words carrying a depth of gratitude.

Aadya's eyes widened in surprise. She hadn't expected this gratitude from Ishaan's family.

"I owe you an apology. We all do," Ira continued, her voice carrying the weight of remorse.

Aadya grappled with how to respond. This was her first meeting with Ishaan's mother, and the revelation that they were aware of her and Ishaan's past took her by surprise.

"I know everything about you and Ishaan. I am sorry for what he did to you," Ira offered sincerely, her eyes locked onto Aadya's, who was visibly uncomfortable now.

"Is every member of Ishaan's family going to turn up to apologise?" Aadya thought, struggling with the overwhelming emotions.

Ira remained silent for a moment, allowing Aadya to absorb her words. \

"I know you don't want to rekindle your relationship. He has broken your trust, and it's difficult to trust someone who has betrayed you. I am not here to ask you to take him back. I just want to tell you what happened five years ago," Ira explained.

Aadya looked on with curiosity, her heart softening slightly.

"I married Ishaan's father when I was just 19. Things were different in those days. No one bothered to ask women about their choices or opinions regarding their future. I was the same. His dad is a good man, but he expects absolute submission from those around him. Unlike you, I didn't have the education or skills to live on my own."

Aadya nodded, understanding the difficult circumstances Ira had faced. But she wondered why she was telling her all this.

"Living my life like that, I forgot that. My kids had their own dreams and aspirations. I expected them to follow my example and become submissive like me."

"After his father fell ill, I had a nervous breakdown. Things were incredibly difficult. Ishaan did everything in his power to keep our family together. When Rishika attempted suicide, I was shattered. Ishaan never wanted to leave you. He begged me to let him marry you. I forced him to leave you."

She paused, her voice trembling with regret as she continued, "I realise now that I was blinded by my own fears and insecurities. I made him choose between you and me. I told him he was betraying his family. I was a terrible mother. Since then, he has never been the same. He fulfilled all his duties and made our family business successful again. He became the best provider we could have hoped for."

Aadya felt her eyes moistening and her heart aching with empathy.

"What do you want me to do, aunty?" Aadya asked sincerely.

"Nothing; I cannot force you to change your mind. I just wanted to apologise, and I wanted to see the woman who stole my son's heart," Ira replied with a warm smile, her words causing Aadya's cheeks to blush.

"I should leave now," Ira mentioned, her voice tinged with a hint of regret.

"But you've just arrived. Please stay for a while," Aadya insisted.

"No, it's fine. I have to catch the returning flight to Mumbai."

"You came all the way to meet me? You could have just called," Aadya remarked.

"Some things are better expressed in person than through phone calls. I am glad I met you," Ira replied as she stood up to leave. Before departing, she turned back and gently caressed Aadya's head.

"I would love to have you as my daughter-in-law," she said, her words sending a powerful jolt through Aadya's heart, leaving her breathless and contemplative.