|16|

What happens in Vegas

What happens in Vegas.. why didn't that apply to the Japanese Alps? All I could think of was that cabin. Or more like what happened in that cabin. It followed me around like a leeching tick sucking my life source out of me. I couldn't think straight. Not in the jeep descending the mountain. Not in the jet back to Korea. And not at home.

Yang sat behind the wheel to help me pick up my new car. We hadn't spoken much since the mountain fiasco. He hadn't forgotten the fist I fed him before I got stuck in the cabin with Lee, and I still felt sour about how both of my supposed friends weren't there for me as Chan and Felix were for Lee. Seeing them worried sick was gut-wrenching.

"Are you still pissed at me for not being there when you got back?" Yang muttered, clearly annoyed. "I was there. In fact, I was the first one calling it in when I saw the storm coming. Chan came an hour later to the hotel to fix a team. The only fucking reason I wasn't with the others, was because I was up all night and hadn't eaten, or taken a shower, so they advised me to go back to the chalet to charge back up. Fuck, Hwang, I literally ran to the emergency building when they called me you were back safe."

I was in no mood to look at him. My elbow was propped against the windowsill, and my knuckles buried deep into my cheek to keep my head up. With lazy eyes, I started to count each car we passed. One boring grey or white after another. A blue one popped up, then a black one. Lee. My mind drifted off to our car race. The chase. The thrill. The fear. The hate. He inflicted a turmoil of emotions every time he got near me. But never confusion. Fuck. Why did he try to kiss me?

The AMG jerked to a stop. It popped the muggy bubble filled with peculiar thoughts and made me look up. We were at the car dealership. The seatbelt clicked loose. My Cartier sunglasses slid back onto my nose while I opened the door. But before I could get out to walk toward the same line of people I met last time, Yang halted my movement.

"For what it's worth.." Yang pinched the bridge of his nose, a frown nestled deep between his brows. "I am sorry for what happened between you and Lee because of my bad attempt of a prank with anime boy. I don't care about him, but I do care about you. I know we are not on the same level when it comes to liking each other, but to me, you're my friend. I hope one day I will be yours too."

I threw the door shut after his words. The only thing I could see when I looked at him was small Yang standing on the playground with his mother behind him, asking me for a playdate. I wanted to believe him, but our inner circle of supposed friends was based on lies and deceit, not trust. I trusted nobody. Not my father, or even my mother. We all played a dangerous game to get what we wanted. And if I wanted to survive, I had to be the gamemaster.

White flashes faded my dark thoughts. My head angled into another position with each beeping sound and praise. I sat on a stool, my hands clutched over the edge of the seating and leaned in toward the camera that was claiming every inch of my face.