|63|

VL reached 1000+ engaged readers. Thank you for staying ♡

Lixie greeted me loyally every morning since I fed him

Lixie greeted me loyally every morning since I fed him. He came running with excited mews that hobbled along his pace. And when he reached my legs, the soft purrs arose. I had asked Momo to buy some cat food because feeding bananas every day wasn't very healthy. And the way the kitten stuffed his face into the meaty goo, licking the saucer spotless after he was done, told me he was very happy with my choice.

Channie came closer but he didn't let him be hand-fed. So I placed the bowl of wet food a few feet away from him to let him eat in peace. His thick tail swiveled slowly over the ground as he ate, and he eyed me between chews to make sure I didn't make a sudden move toward him.

But Hwang kept her distance on the other side of the road. She didn't want any interaction with me or the cats. She lay on the ground, stretched into a beautiful line, and swept her fluffy tail gracefully from one side to the other, with her eyes set on me. In the shadow, those blueish-white irises looked like they were glowing. She licked her front paw to rub it behind her ear, cleaning herself. I stared at the feline with awe while my cheek rested on my palm. 

I envied her, and the other cats. From what I've heard, they were stray cats. Owned by no one, yet still cared for by everyone. The philosophy behind it made my chest ache. They had the freedom to do whatever they wanted, no leash or a cage. Nobody forced them to be perfect. To smile. To bow. To take the hit. And still... they were loved.

After a week, I lost my patience. I wanted to go back home. But without a passport, money, or a phone, I wouldn't make it very far. Besides, Momo wouldn't let me even if I tried. She insisted I stay longer to give my wounds more time to heal. They itched like crazy, so I knew they were doing just that.

So I decided to venture through the neighborhood. The pain was dull as long as I didn't touch it, and walking would do me some good. I wasn't used to sitting still for so long and the walls of the house were closing in on me.

The village wasn't very big. It had a local supermarket that sold fresh vegetables and fruits. A bakery. And a few other small shops. Lixie's desperate mews to keep up with me followed me a few blocks until I swept him off the ground and tucked him in my vest when the area became more lively. Tuffs of orange fur swooshed by the soft wind, and his Dorito-shaped head bobbled along my steps. He was quiet, probably taking everything in with big eyes.

Another thing that reminded me of my little cousin. The last time I saw him, he had plastered himself against my car window, struck by the view. I preferred that image over the one of his snotty face when he stumbled into my dark side. I hated my father more for the fact he tainted his bright light than the punishment as a whole. It was fucking unnecessary. How could I face him now? What could I possibly say to Felix besides the ugly truth? Not sharing parts of my life wasn't the same as lying. But if he asked about it now and I would flat-out diminish it, it would be...