|67|

I'm alive! (I think)
Longer wait - Longer chapter (5k)

Bang's Boxing Gym

Bang's Boxing Gym

I squinted at the words. They morphed into You Are Dead the longer I stared at it, and it made me drawl outside in front of the gym longer than necessary. Passersby eyed me warily as I kept pacing back and forth, wearing the all-black sweats I came with when I left Japan and matched it with a cap and mask. It looked like I was about to rob the place but that was far from the truth.

Chan is going to kill me. That was all I could think of.

Two weeks no word about my whereabouts was the worst I could do to him. He actively reminded me how much he hated that. The last time was here at the gym when he tried to choke the life out of me.

Which was why I chose to come before his lunch break, I knew he was teaching kids right now so I had a room full of tiny witnesses.

Okay.

The moment I pulled on the vertical bar of the glass door, the sound of cheery, overly hyped kids molested my ears. I grimaced behind my mask. I didn't hate them, not necessarily, but I wasn't fond of them either. Mostly when they were high on adrenaline after two sloppy kicks against the boxing pad their opponent guarded themselves with because they imagined they were Jackie Chan or Bruce Lee.

Chan stood with his arms crossed, wearing a white compression shirt and light grey shorts. His eyes were trained on the six pairs of children, occasionally hitting shins and arms instead of the pad. He corrected them with authority backing him up and silenced the whiners who got hurt.

"There is not fighting without pain. Learn to absorb them and channel it back into energy." Chan then noticed me, his eyes diverting when I came closer to the red mat they had gathered on. I took off the mask and fumbled it into the pocket of my joggings and kept my hand there. A shitty smile surfaced when my friend's gaze intensified the longer he stared at me. "We'll have a ten-minute break. Try not to hurt each other, I'll be right back."

There were no words said to me as Chan brushed past me to head to his office. I knew this was an indication to follow him. So far the tiny witnesses, I thought and heaved a sigh as I closed the door behind me. The blinders were shut. The windows were double, keeping the screaming kid noises out, and mine in. There lay a pair of twenty-kilo dumbles on the ground, and I wondered if that would be the murder weapon and if the black carpeting would be soon soaked in red. Dramatic, yes, but I knew Chan most of my life, so I knew this wasn't going to end pretty. 

Chan turned around, his arms back across his chest to stand in his familiar pose. The small of his back leaned against his desk with his legs apart, and all I could do was swallow thickly. This wasn't about that I didn't know how to tell what happened, not at all. Chan knew the lengths my father went to make me yield to his command. He had attended enough bruises and cuts to not question them anymore. Our friendship bond had visibly stretched to its limit, and we both knew it.